1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

parallel port problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gizmolabob, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gizmolabob

gizmolabob Thread Starter

I am trying to connect 2 computers together using the parallel ports but I just realized that the connectors on each end of the cable are different. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Suggestion #1: find a way other than using parallel ports. :)

#2: If the connectors are different, you clearly didn't get the correct cable. You need a "cross-over" parallel cable. I'm not sure it's called "cross-over," but clearly it has to be a special cable to connect two like devices. Same concept as needing a cross-over ethernet cable or null-modem serial cable to connect two computers.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Usually, the parallel transfer cables are called a "Laplink" cable, because they were the folks that got the idea going. There are a couple of different versions of this cable, newer ones had more pins connected for somewhat faster transfers.

I also agree with Terry, do it some other way. :D

4. gizmolabob

What about connecting serial ports? Also, I forgot to mention that I was going to use a splitter on my internet cable connection in order to use 2 modems. My isp is cox cable. I bought a used modem that was originall used for Comcast isp. I couldn't get a connection with it. Both modems are Motorola SB5120 Surfboard. Thanks.

5. gizmolabob

It is better to have loved and lost than to spend the rest of your life with a psycho.

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Yes, you can connect two computers via their serial ports. The data transfer rate will probably be slower than via the parallel ports and at 115 Kbits-per-second it would be least 800 times slower than a 100 Mbit Ethernet connection.

I would think that both modems operate in the same frequency range and would interfere with each other and you would have no usable connection. I am not that familiar with high speed cable but I doubt very much that any cable ISP would allow two simultaneous connections for one customer even if you found some way to do it in hardware.

Exactly what are you trying to accomplish with connecting the two computers to each other?

7. gizmolabob

I'm trying to share a cable internet connection between 2 computers, bot running XP. I have tried a Linksys Workgroup Swith and a router with no success. Now I'm checking into other options.

8. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I did take a look at your other posts and the problems you were having with trying to network the two computers. My 2ยข worth of opinion says that you try to get a broadband router working with your cable box and network the computers through the router. Some of the people on TSG really know networking and should be able to help you out. If you are not happy with their suggestions you might want try the Cox HSI forum on broadbandreports.com at http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/coxhsi .

A good night's sleep allowed me to rethink using two modems through a splitter. You may actually get both modems to not interfere with each other but your Cable ISP would probably not allow the foreign (Comcast) modem to establish a working connection and pass any data.

If you decide to avoid sharing via Ethernet, your next best choice would be to buy or make a parallel (printer) port link cable. If both printer ports support the IEEE 1284-1994 Standard EPP mode and the computers are close to each other, you should be able to get some decent data rates.

9. gizmolabob

OK - Thank you.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What Chuck said! :)

Have you checked with Cox to see if you can have multiple internet connections w/o prior arrangement and paying extra? And even if you can, have you checked with them about using two modems in such a configuration? My guess is that the second connection would cost you $5 - $10 per month (if even available) and you would have to use only one modem with a switch.

The simplest way to share an internet connection is to connect a router to the modem. The simplest way to network (file and printer share) XP PCs is via ethernet and/or wireless using a router. If you can't get this working it is highly unlikely that you can get the far slower parallel or serial networking going.

As Chuck mentioned, post a wireless or ethernet question here and people climb all over each other to respond. A parallel or serial question gets, at best, what John and I said in our initial responses.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Gee, I think I'd get the networking working, not go down an even more difficult path! That's what we do here, help with networking issues. ;)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice