1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Parallel port stopped functioning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RodM, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RodM

RodM Thread Starter

I have a Dell XPS system running Win. XP Media Center. I have an old HP LaserJet 4 printer running from the parallel port. After a lightening storm my parallel printer port stopped working. The printer runs normally with another computer so I know its not the printer. I need to know if I can connect the printer through the serial port. My computer has a nine pin male serial port and the LaserJet has a 25 pin female serial port. Do I just switch the printer port setting from LPT1 to COM1, and where can I get the correct serial cable? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice