1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Parallels on MacBookPro with Vista

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Treasure4A, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Treasure4A

Treasure4A Thread Starter

I'm running Mac OSX and have parallels installed with Windows Vista. I need to print on the PC side but I can't load the printer software because I get the message that it can't find the Printer (doesn't recognise the USB port. Doesn't recognise my Flashdrive when I insert it either).

2. namenotfound

namenotfound

I think you mean "Windows side" ;)
    Macintosh is a PC, regardless of what you may have heard.

To answer your question:
    I never used Parallels, but if it's anything like VMWare Fusion then there should be an option to turn on USB in the settings. It might be turned off by default. By turning it on, Windows will "capture" the USB, so anything plugged into them will get detected by Windows and not Mac OS X (until you turn it off, or shut down Windows)

3. Treasure4A

I cannot make my windows side of Mac (run thru Parallels) to recognise a USB hence am not able to load any printers or use flashdrive. I've tried turning on the option of "recognise USB on launch" doesn't make any difference. Does anyone know if Parallels and Vista are compatible (this I think could be my problem)

4. namenotfound

namenotfound

Try the free trial of VMWare Fusion and see if it works, if it does then you're correct about the Parallels/Vista incompatibly. If it still doesn't work, then at least you know it's not Parallels that's at fault. What's good about trials is you can try before you buy, to make sure that it works and it's what you want.

If you turned on USB in the options and it still isn't working, then it *might* be Parallels at fault, but it never hurts to be sure by testing it out with another app.

5. Treasure4A

Thanks for any suggestions but no help at all. The solution was download the latest version or parallels, info via their website. Took a year and half to solve the problem and was solved by a VERY savvy Windows person who lives in the same city.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice