1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Parent Control S/W for tech savvy teen

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by cynthiad, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cynthiad

cynthiad Thread Starter

Help please. I have a tech savvy 16 year old son that has to use his computer to do his homework, but is abusing it. I need to be able to see how he is using it (sites/time/things he's doing) and ideally restrict the site "affimatively" to just the sites he needs to do his homework. I check history, but he's savvy enuf' to clear individual entries as he goes..... I've reat about Webwatcher adn SpectrePro but have no idea what's good and what he couldn't detect and remove... I'm not that technical.... help please!

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

He can clear the History all he wants but the links he visits are still in another file. In a file called Index.dat.

You have a couple of options. Windows makes a product called Steady State which is free. This should help with a few things. There is K9 web protection also a free product. If you have a broadband router, most of them these days have a logging feature to see where people are going out to the Internet.

Then there is OpenDNS which is a great free product. You create an OpenDNS account and then setup your broadband router to use them as your DNS servers. In your DNS account you can setup sites to allow and block.

Now OpenDNS use to have a feature that would show you all the domains that were visited from your network but they disabled this feature a while back and have not reenabled it. It is been disabled for quite some time now.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    Only problem with that is that a tech savvy 16 year old may get wise as to how they are getting blocked. They could then set the Windows TCP/IP properties to not automatically get DNS information from the router and hard code their ISP's recommended DNS server's IP address or the IP address of a free public DNS server.

4. cynthiad

cynthiad Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies, but even these suggestions are a bit over my head technically. Is anyone out here familiar with any of the monitoring and time/site limiting programs llike Safe Eyes, CyberPatrol, Web Watcher of SpectrePro?

5. sup2a

sup2a

Id say, monitor him yourself really, terrible option i know but there is always a way around something, im 15 and me and mates get around the school blocker monitor ect ect all the time. There are many sites that avoid or block the blockers well i guess sit does depend on HOW savvy he is, however with enough unsupervised time theres no doubt he'll eventually get through whatever.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Most newer routers have the ability to block or redirect outgoing traffic. If you only allow UDP port 53 to go to OpenDNS's servers nothing he does on his PC will allow him out.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice