1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Parent/Teen New Driving Experience" Thread

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by angelize56, Jul 24, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts Thread Starter

My son has had his GDL1 now for almost a month and I have been out letting him drive! ;) The first day I was slightly nervous...but he is doing really great and I was just wondering how you parents felt about the driving experiences of your teens and how you newly licensed or teens with GDL's feel about driving...alone (final license) or with parents (GDL's 1 & 2)! :)

For parents...did you let your teen drive right away alone after they got their final license? How were your insurance rates affected? At what age did you allow your teen to take Driver's Ed? Did you get your teen their own car or make them pay all or part for one after the final licensing? Do you worry while they are out driving alone? What restrictions if any have you placed on their driving?

Any experiences are most welcome! :)

2. angelize56

I feel sorry for this teen! :( I know how excited William (my son) was to take Driver's Ed and how he is nervous about his road test though it's months away...this must have really shattered this young man's hopes to drive! :( Thank God no one was seriously injured!

Mich. Teen Flips Jeep During Driver Test

The Associated Press

Jul 19, 2006 5:08 PM

DEARBORN, Mich. - A 16-year-old boy apparently had a seizure during his driving test, causing him to hit five vehicles, flip his Jeep and wreck the front of a store.

The teen and other drivers were treated at a hospital after Monday's crash. The driver's license examiner, Gregory Desmet, 59, of Macomb County's Shelby Township, was hospitalized overnight with a broken arm.

The teen, whose name was not released, drove the 2004 black Jeep Cherokee above speed limits, hit four cars and rolled over before going airborne and crashing into another car, which was pushed through the window of a rug store. :eek:

"Based on what Mr. Desmet told us, it appears the driver may have suffered some kind of seizure," Dearborn police Sgt. Doug Topolski told The Detroit News.

http://www.examiner.com/a-183564~Mich__Teen_Flips_Jeep_During_Driver_Test.html

3. SlackAli

SlackAli Account Closed

Do you have driving schools in the US? Over here they have to be registered and approved by the Driving Standards Agency. You don't have to use them - 17year olds and up can learn with parents/friends etc with a full licence - but generally considered to be a good idea to have proper lessons at the start and the end just before the test, with general driving experience with mum/dad etc in between.

4. angelize56

Hi Slack! :) Yes we have driving schools here...but I think at 18 you can just go get a license as long as you pass the necessary vision, paper and road tests! ;)

5. SlackAli

SlackAli Account Closed

Thanks Angel.

You have to pass a theory test here now: computer-based multiple choice, and you have to get 30 out of 35 questions correct from around 1200 possibles.

This is of particular interest to me as I've got my motorbike theory test this friday - 3pm BST:(

The questions are not too demanding though. eg:

You are approaching a pedestrian crossing where an elderly man with a walking stick is waiting to cross. Do you:

1. Accelerate past giving him the finger?
    2. Mount the pavement (that's sidewalk to you) and try and run him over?
    3. Kick his stick away as you ride past?
    4. Slow down and be prepared to stop?

6. angelize56

7. SlackAli

SlackAli Account Closed

You got 21 correct out of a possible 25. You scored a 84%.:eek:

Have to make allowances though for changing mentally from RHD to LHD, and some of terminology unfamiliar.

Good fun though(y)

8. angelize56

You passed at least!! (y) :D

9. KeithKman

KeithKman

My parents car insurance more than doubled when I turned 16.

10. angelize56

Hey Keith...good to see you! :) Was that before or after you got a license? :eek:

11. KeithKman

KeithKman

Good to see you too! I think it was when I got my permit and was able to drive the cars with my parents.

12. angelize56

I haven't called my insurance company yet! :eek: I can barely afford the premium I pay now! :( A few people have told me that you don't have to let them know until the teen gets the final license...but I guess I better err on the side of caution and find out now!

13. Lurker1

Lurker1

Yes get ready for the big shock when you get your new insurance rates. Of course you can just pretend that he is an occasional driver and not put him on your policy. That works until he is involved in an accedent after which he has to be put on your policy.

14. angelize56

Hi there Lurker!! :) Good to see you too! :) William won't be driving alone for at least six months...that's how long before he gets his official license...so should I not bother letting my insurance company know until then? Even then he won't be driving alone until he gets a job and can help pay for his own car and insurance! ;)

15. SlackAli

SlackAli Account Closed

Things might be different in the States, but that would definitely not be the case in the UK. Anybody driving the car must be named on the insurance certificate, unless the insurance specifies 'any driver' - but even then this is interpreted as someone who has passed the test.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice