1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Parent/Teen New Driving Experience" Thread

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by angelize56, Jul 24, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts Thread Starter

Here in the states our policies cover anyone driving our cars as long as you haven't specifically excluded anyone! ;)

2. KeithKman

KeithKman

We have USAA. When my mom told the lady on the phone she wanted to add her 16 year old son to their policy the lady paused for a moment and then told my mom to take a seat so she didn't freak out about the price.

From what I hear, California has some of the highest insurance prices for young drivers.

I am now the primary driver on our 2004 Kia Sorento. It's $2400 a year for insurance...JUST FOR ME. No way I could be the primary on my Camaro, as the rate would be SUPER high. My mom is the primary on the Camaro. My car payment for the Camaro is less than the insurance on the Kia. :D :eek:

3. angelize56

So basically you're telling me I won't be able to afford to let my son drive! :eek: :D

4. KeithKman

KeithKman

hahahhah! Call up the insurance and see what they say. ;)

5. angelize56

I'm afraid to!! :eek: :D

6. poochee

poochee

I read an article stating that insurance rates are also determined by your credit rating! It seems a low CR and more claims go hand in hand. I knew they used your zip code, because I am in a high zip code area. I live 2 blocks from one the most dangerous traffic corners in the US. It was #8!! Could have gone down this year because they put up cameras and the fine for running a redlight is $385.:eek: I haven't seen any stats this year..

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

Well I know you don't need to do anything until after William gets his licence. Our agent said not to put our daughter down as a driver at all after she got her licence. Even for her own car which we drop the insurance for and store when she is away in college. So shes really only driving a lot for three months of the year since theres no place to park a car at school.

If we did need to put her on the policy it would be as the primary driver of her used car which doesn't have any colision on it. (Its old and used)

8. angelize56

Thanks Lurker! :) Should I call anonymously and ask? ;)

9. Steppinstone

Steppinstone

Well now where do I start... I have one teen who is still driving with me in the car.... She could have gotten her license in December but Mama is afraid of letting her drive during the lovely Michigan winters... She needs a lot more practice and I hate to say this but it my own fears that is preventing her from moving forward... I am not a good passenger and never have been.... I break out in nevous sweats every time I am in the car with someone else behind the wheel.. I have actually offerded to pay my friend to let J drive her around because it is not easy to drive a car if I am your nervous passenger...

I have two vehicles, one is just a wood hauler, a piece of junk that I won't let any of my kids ride in, let alone drive. The other is my 2002 Caravan, the first brand new vehicle that I have ever had. I am trying to save up some money to get a cheap car that I feel safe enough for her to drive.. Don't get me wrong J can drive very well, it more my fear of other drivers and the lack of experience that J has, to pay attention to what all the other drivers are doing that scares the bejeezes out of me.. and this is only round one, I have teen #2 that is awaiting her fair shake at taking drivers ed too.

Angel, I called my insurance gal and she told me that when J got her official license that I could just add her as an occasional driver and that my rates would not go up much...

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Hey SA, get this:

Me, a Brit that never driven before, who is usually on the other side of the road before, got my license within 2 weeks of driving... and the 2 weeks wasn't a few two weeks. :D

Let's just say that the DMV here is a little lax in that department :D

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I meant a FULL two weeks (can't edit :()

12. angelize56

Hi Chari! :) I know what you mean by nervous passenger! ;) The hardest part for me is that I don't really want a chaffeur! :D Driving has always given me great pleasure! :) And I definitely know what you mean about worrying about other drivers...after all...they don't know our kids are student drivers still! :eek: I share the same queasy feeling you do! ;) The first time William drove I was nervous...this has eased up tremendously! My only problem is he sometimes appears too secure of himself and wants to drive with only one hand on the wheel! Of course I think worst case scenario...losing control of the car and not being to react as swiftly as if two hands were on the wheel...plus I want him to get used to driving like he will have to for his road test! BUT....he still has over 6 months to drive before that test! (y) He has the rules of the road down pat! (y) He does get a bit nervous when a police car is next to him...but don't we all! ;) :D Actually the worst part right now...the gas prices! :eek: They have risen to the cheapest here is $3.19! :mad: (n) So for now I am curtailing the hours until the prices drop! He's not happy about that! :D So...deep breaths and back on the road later this week...he wants to drive on his birthday Thursday...how can I refuse him! ;) :D Thanks for the tidbit on occasional driver...he won't be driving my car much! This car has to last me until I die! Knock on wood!! ;)

Lurker: :D I got the nerve to call my insurance woman last night...you're right! I don't have to add him until he has his final license! (y) That is such a BIG relief...it took me six months just to save up the premium fior me! :eek:

13. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

Back when i had my permit and Intermediate license my mother wouldnt let me drive for 6 months after getting them
    She used to always tell me to be careful even if i was driving up to the gas station
    "Cut the umbilical cord!!!"

14. angelize56

Welcome to TSG IR! :) Your Mom was a wise woman! ;) :D

15. poochee

poochee

Happy early Birthday to William from poochee!!:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice