1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Parity what is it?,dealing with RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dk, Jul 14, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dk

dk Thread Starter

I know this is just blatenly obvious for all of you, but could someone fill me in on this. I purchased 128MB Dimm PC100 spec, and I have a couple of 32MB sticks sitting around so I popped on in with the 128MB paying attention to whether or not it is a DIMM or not, it is, but now I have 160MB of RAM, and the computer seems a little sluggish then when I have just 128MB in do I need to adjust something in the Bios, and what is this parity thing, that someone was talking about the other day, thanks for the info.

------------------
    ICQ# 51865388
    AOL IM daveandrew v1

2. RandyG

RandyG

Hi dk,

The new memory you purchased is probably PC66/100 spec, so it could be combined with older PC66 DIMMs. They would run at the lower rating. If the new memory weren't 66/100, then you could receive memory errors, but mostly, you would notice very slight problems, but over time it could cause significant damage.

Parity would be analagous to having a chariot pulled by 2 horses; an Arabian, and a plowhorse. One would be trying to fly, and the other would keep holding it back. Eventually, one or the other would die, causing the Chariot to stop moving!

(I kind of like that analogy) [​IMG]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/33287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice