1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partial hard disk failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aw56001, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aw56001

aw56001 Thread Starter

Hello
    Running WinXP with SP2 on a 150GB Maxtor hard disk NTFS partitioned into 5 Drives (C,D,E,F,G) of 30GB each.
    I don't have system restore enabled but use Norton Ghost for backups.
    Yesterday I did a Norton Ghost to back up C Drive and I set it to save the Ghost file to G Drive (as I normally do).
    Half way through the procedure the Ghost backup aborted and restarted my computer. I then got boot failure and I tried repeatedly to get it to reboot from the hard disk but I thought that my whole hard disk had been trashed. I then pressed F8 to try and get the machine to boot in safe mode and happily it just booted normally from the hard disk.
    After that everything seemed fine however when I click 'My Computer' there is a size and how much space left for C,D,E,F drives but G drive is blank. When I click 'Properties' on the G Drive I get zero capacity and zero space left.
    Has this part of the disk been trashed? Can I recover the back up programs and other things that were stored on G Drive and if so how do I do this? If the G Drive is unrecoverable how do I bring it back into use - format?:confused: :confused:
    Manythanks
    aw56001

2. onsite

onsite

First, why do you do a ghost to the same drive ? You do a ghost of a drive for insurance incase the drive fails. In your senario if the drive fails you have lost everything. HDs are so cheap I would recommend getting another HD the same size or larger and ghost your HD to the second HD , then store it in a safe place. I basically when i put down a fresh OS , I configure my email install a few critical progs and then clone to my DVD burner. I then just burn folders of data ( like family picture) at different intervals.
    As far as the recovery, you may want to get one of Ontraks products, or any data recovery that does not need an OS to recover data.
    Also when you clone an OS that you use a password, write down the password and put it with the clone. I loaded a clone at work for a borked desktop. I had gone through several password changes since i made the clone and could not remeber what that password was, i finally got in.

3. aw56001

aw56001 Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt reply. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. I tried to ghost the C Drive to the G Drive (the chap who built the system kept the G Drive empty on purpose so that I could ghost C and D drive to G Drive) and this has succesfully been done previously.
    This time it crashed though. Drives C.D,E, and F are all OK however Drive G is now blank in My Computer/Windows Explorer after the crash. I will certainly consider another hard disk now that this has happened. You think that the data on G Drive may be recoverable then? I will check out the programs that you mention.
    Many Thanks
    aw56001

4. onsite

onsite

..but the G drive is physically on the same HD, RIGHT ?:)

I am not even a big fan of ghosting to another HD in the same case. It all depends how valuable your data is. There is no such thing as data redundancey in computers. I know ppl that make multiple back ups onto CD's or tape and put them in their safe deposit boxes. Those comercial fireboxes that you can buy at the store are useless too. They will protect paper objects, but get so hot inside, will damage the data.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486193

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice