1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partial white screen problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hundredsofproblems, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hundredsofproblems

hundredsofproblems Thread Starter

I booted up my computer one day (specs listed below) and found the top 1/3 of my screen to be a partial see-through white. I can still see the background and icons in the affected area but it's covered by white; almost as if the brightness is way to high in that area. The names of the icons are difficult to read and the icons themselves are not very clear because of the problem. The mouse runs sluggish in the affected area also. The monitor is connected via a DVI cable. I tried connecting with a VGA cable but the monitor wouldn't show anything; I could still see the discoloration on the black background though. I tried connecting my computer to an LCD tv with a VGA hookup but the tv wouldn't show anything. As I was looking on the web to try and find a solution, the white color suddenly went away. Thinking it was fixed, I unplugged my monitor and replugged back into it's normal spot (I had to switch some plugs around when hooking up the tv). I turned the monitor back on and found that the problem had returned. Not quite sure how to fix it so that's why I'm seeking help here. Thank you for any assistance!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3325 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 466635 MB, Free - 351276 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 6111 MB; E: Total - 1907493 MB, Free - 1736346 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0FM586
    Antivirus: None

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try another DVI cable. If possible borrow a similar monitor and try that connected using DVI.

What monitor is it ? If it's a Dell system which one ?

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

My pure guess would be that some of the memory on the graphics card has gone bad!!

4. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Garbled/incomplete graphics usually indicate a card gone bad, that would be my guess as well. If you have an old computer lying around it might be worth trying to connect that to your screen just to be sure it isn't the screen.... though it's unlikely unless you've abused it by dropping it or something.

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Trying another monitor should show if your monitor is to blame or not. This is easier, in the physical and availability senses, than trying another graphics card which would be my next step if it's not a monitor problem.

I would run memtest to check the Ram, many graphics cards use system ram as well as their built-in ram so it could be relevant to your issue :- http://www.memtest.org/

6. hundredsofproblems

hundredsofproblems Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with a Dell 19" monitor. I didn't have an extra DVI cable to try but I did hook up another monitor that was exactly the same and it worked fine. That leads me to believe that my original monitor is the one that may be causing the problem.

The computer/monitor are in excellent shape. No computer abuse. =)

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Well that seems to prove it's a monitor fault. Probably means getting a new one rather than trying to get that one repaired. Maybe upgrade to a larger screen ? Or see what you can find on Ebay, 19" monitors are quite cheap now.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!