1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partion Issue - Making a partioned hard drive a single drive in windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jag215, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jag215

jag215 Thread Starter

My Sony computer that I have had since 2000 or so is store bought and came with windows xp. I believed it had two hard drives in it until earlier this year when I found out it came with one partioned hard drive. I now have two physical HDD and three that appear on my computer. I need to restore my computer and would like to make my partioned drive appear as one. I will have all my backup files on my second physical HDD. If it makes things easier at all I do not have a windows install disc only system restore discs that came with my computer. If this isn't clear enough please ask me to try and clear it up.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome,

You can use a third party program like Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Manager to do that...you should not have to use the recovery disk but put all important data on your second drive first.

3. rollnw24inkmc

rollnw24inkmc Guest

well then being as you do not have a Windows Install CD, that makes things hard. So heres to options i can give you.first option being is go check into getting yourself a copy of Windows, if your currently running xp, you should be able to pick up a copy of Windows Xp Home edition for around 99.99 bucks, if its Windows Xp Professional you have you should be able to get that for around 199.99 bucks. id check Wal-mart, Best Buy, Ebay.com, Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com for the best prices. Once you have a Copy of windows it can actually wipe that drive clean for you by doing a clean installing, refomatting and installation e.t.a would be about 1-2 hours. second thing you can do is take that hdd out put it in a second computer as a secondary hard drive disc and install PowerQuest PartitionMagic to wipe that hard clean and then reformat it and reinstall it in your sony computer and use ur restore cds to restore ur computer, and the thing about restore cd's is when they are made, they copy an image of the hard drive, so the way your hard drive is set up is the way it is going to be most likely, so just get your self a copy of a windows install cd lol

4. jag215

jag215 Thread Starter

Thanks, so if I understand you guys right then if I were to use my restore discs then use partition magic will it give me the results I need, a restored computer with two physical drives and two drives in windows? I've never heard of partition magic so I'm just guessing here.

Edit: I just took a look at the website and it looks like this will do it for me. Anyone have a guess at where I can get PartitionMagic for less than 70 dollars?

5. bonk

bonk Banned

Take a look at this http://www.soft32.com/download_26981.html free trail but how much function I'm not sure. $50 to buy I believe

with regards to what to do.....if you use either Partition Magic or Arcronis Disk Director..you should not have to use you recovery disk...if you have the Operating System already on the drive....just move all important files off the main drive and use one of the above programs...they will be able to merge your hard drive to one or what ever with the Operating system still on it.

6. jag215

jag215 Thread Starter

Hey man thanks a lot I still have to recover in order to solve my major problem I was just hoping I could take care of this one too and it looks like I will.

7. rollnw24inkmc

rollnw24inkmc Guest

if you use your restore cd's its going to restore everything, even the partions. when i make a recover disc for a clients computer or for my personal use, norton ghost copies the whole drive and everything about it to a burn/bootable image. if you are not looking to have a Partition, you could use your restore cd and try to remove the Partition with PartitionMagic.

8. jag215

jag215 Thread Starter

Thanks again to everyone I will post an update next weekend when I have time to do this again. Hopefully Everything turns out all right.;)

9. rollnw24inkmc

rollnw24inkmc Guest

no problem lol

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/533207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice