1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

partioning harddrive with one os in use

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ri7425ck, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ri7425ck

ri7425ck Thread Starter

purchased a 20 gb harddrive, made it into 3 virtual drives, C, D, E, installed w98 on drive C. useing drive D for my photo software and picture files, use drive E for games. Question will this setup cause any problems with the way windows runs or reacts??? Can I safely leave it this way? or should I reformat to all one drive???

2. esdxc37

esdxc37

nope windows will see this setup and run with no problems
    only draw back how big did you make your c drive as windows uses a swapfile which if to small can slow down some apps and since you use photo software which will use as big a swapfile as windows allocates for manipulating photos i would say at least 10 gigs for drive c

how much memory do you have as you can manually edit the settings so as to use the computers memory rather than the swapfile

3. slipe

slipe

Hi – welcome to the board.

I work with big files in Photoshop and have a 4Gig boot partition. The only reason it is that big is that you can’t move the print spooler in Win9x and I need the space to spool large print jobs. A 2 gig boot drive was fine except for that. You want only the OS and programs on your boot drive so you can Ghost it. If the computer starts acting up it takes only a few minutes to format and restore a good system with all of your programs and settings intact.

To even use a Gig of scratch disc or swap file space using an image editor would be incredibly slow. I regularly work with 30Mb files with layers and 50 histories. The only time I exceed my 512Mb RAM is if I use an enormous brush. If I do that I have a few minutes to sit on my hands and remind myself not to do that again as a few hundred Mbs go to the scratch disc and back.

I’m sure it is fine the way you have it set up. There is no advantage performance wise to having it a single partition.

If you are using Partition Magic, someone pointed something out a couple of years ago that has served me well. If you have a partition just for photos, MP3s or other large files you can get some performance improvement by jacking your cluster size up. You don’t waste much space since the files are big and it keeps the FAT to a lean workable size. No sense in breaking an 8Mb MP3 or photo into 4k clusters. I’m using 64k but thinking of increasing even that.

4. ri7425ck

ri7425ck Thread Starter

thank you gentlemen for your prompt replys, it sure makes me feel confident that i will be running trouble free.:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice