1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition Again

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by QBA, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. QBA

QBA Thread Starter

Hi

Another question about partition :)

I don't know a lot on how a hard drive could stop from working, but I have heard it happens, so I'm assuming that this is one of the ways it could happen. A 10% of my hard drive could fail and my whole hard drive will stop from working, So I wonder that if I have multiples partitions on it, The files in the partitions that are out of the reach of this 10% corrupted area will have a better chance on being recuperate it, than if on the other hand I have the same hard drive without multiples partitions and 10% of it fail, I will have less chances of recuperating anything on it.

I know this maybe doesn't make any sense at all, since maybe this is not even the way, hard drives could stop from working, because it could be that when a hard drive dies, everything in there will be lost not matter how many partitions I have on it, but I have partitions on my hard drive and I want to make sure I know all itÂ’s benefits before I get rid of them.

So having a multiples partitions on my HD make it any safer if my hard drive just fail or if an area is corrupted?

Thanks

Alex

2. angel

angel

Assuming the bad spots are all located in one partition then, yes, you have an advantage that other partitions should be safe. However, I find it unlikely that only one partition would form bad sectors, etc without the others doing so also. Generally, if you start noticing physical HD errors, it's time for a new drive. But, then again, the chance for recovering data is greater with multiple partitions (though maybe not alot).
    Does that even make sense? I feel like I'm rambling!
    :D

3. QBA

QBA Thread Starter

Angel you are making a lot of sense thanks :)

Now my question to you is, How did you understand my rambling question above? :)

take care

Alex

4. angel

angel

Maybe we speak the same language???

5. QBA

QBA Thread Starter

The same rambling language? :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!