1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

partition and format new notebook hd

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Keleah, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Keleah

Keleah Thread Starter

After my Pavilion zt1135 hd took a nose dive I purchased a new 20gb, and I need to know step by step directions----please---I was running Win XP, had the Blaster virus, a trojan and teekids. Got rid of those finally, but after a few days of using the notebook with all ok I shut it down only. Next day there was a message that read--please type in Command Enterpter.
    Didn't really know what it meant exactly, so I tried re-booting several times. Finally got a C:\ and turned it off. Next day the message was: Hard Disk Boot sector invalid press "h" to retry hard drive any other key for the next device. I can go into Bios and also get a Boot Screen listing Hard Disk Floppy Drive Cd-Rom Drive and Internal Lan to boot from then it goes on to give other errors. HP tells me this is a sign of hard disk failure---the puter is only a year old. I have much treasured data that I didn't back up like any careless computer user---any ideas on how to retrieve my data will help, and I thank all in advance. Keleah.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's a strange one. There is no command interpreter in XP, and no DOS, so the message implies that something very unusual is going on. Is it possible that you had a dual boot with 2 operating systems, one that was 98 or ME? Possibly, this could be something left over from an upgrade from one of those operating systems, but it is still strange.

Download this program and run it. It will create a floppy for you. Boot the sick machine from the floppy. When you finally get a prompt, type: pr.exe <Enter>

This will start the partition recovery program. Choose your partition in the left window (there may be only one) and choose to do the scan (it will tell you in the right window what keys to press to begin the scan). See if it is able to recover any partitions or your Master Boot Record.

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/APR.exe

This program also creates a boot floppy. On it are hardware tests that you can do to find out if your drive really is going or gone. Choose the advanced tests for the drive and do not do any marked "destructive" since they will write to your hard drive and may erase some of its contents. The second one creates a boot CD of the same program if you prefer and know how to burn CD images.

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/pccheck5.50.zip (Bootable floppy)
    http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/PCChk550ISO.zip (Bootable CD)

3. Keleah

Keleah Thread Starter

Hi, and sorry it's taken a week to reply to this most welcomed message. had ankle surgery the 20th then had to go to La on business. just now able to get back to checking and answering the forum.
    I purchased the hp pavilion zt1135 with win xp oem installed. somehow, every once in awhile I would see a reference to win 95, so I came to the conclusion that hp first installed 95 in order to do the oem of xp over it---maybe this is why the command enterp and other stuff appeared. I also had a string of viruses on both computers but McAfee took care of those with a rescue disk.
    Now, I downloaded the APR program to a floppy, but I did this on my desktop running win 98, so if it copied system files those are the ones with fat 32.
    the xp is an ntfs system, so is the floppy boot-up going to work???
    since it was my b'day, and my ole man loves me--wow, he bought me a caddy for the laptop, and I also had a new laptop hd traded for money owed.
    I want my old hd with the xp and all my files and docs saved, tho, and I know there is a way to do this. I'm just not sure if I can do it with the 98 system. please get back to me soon, as I'm having a terrible time trying to sit at a table with the desktop---but, I sure am glad I have it or we would not talk.
    thanks very much from a true fan.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

That program contains all the files needed and will extract them to the floppy no matter what OS you do it on. It is already bootable and supports both FAT32 and NTFS. So you can still give it a try. The floppy boots into some version of DOS (IBM, DRDOS, or MSDOS), so the file system of the drive will be irrelevant at that point.

The data is still there for sure. It is just a matter of retrieving it. Maybe after you do that, you can format that entire drive and install a fresh version of XP.

What would really be nice if for you to get an adapter so that the drive could be removed and attached temporarily to a desktop IDE cable. You could then retrieve your data easily.

Any sort of recovery CD's with that machine? A repair installation would be nice.

But, for now, let's just try booting it up. I have an idea for a boot loader we can try if the partition recovery fails.

5. Keleah

Keleah Thread Starter

I do thank you again, for there are files that would be hard to live without, for I just lost my mother in Feb. I promised myself I will always back up my files from now on.
    I have everything needed for this job--I think. My hubby bought a laptop caddy, I have the desktop, but can this be connected to the desktop?? --and I have a 250 zip drive [which I was never able to retrieve data back], and also a usb 80 gb disk drive.
    I raked and scraped to get this stuff, but my husband keeps me busy most times in our little shop, so I don't have much time --even tho we make very little moola.
    I will let you know how things goes, and I don't know if this exchange is being posted to the forum or not---just not used to this--but, you are more than welcome to post it. Maybe it'll be of some use to some other person that messed around and didn't back up as "preached to everybody" and very well should be--data is precious. having to go across the state to Fla today but will give all this a try tonite and will definately send back the results. Keleah

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!