Partition/Backup Help Please

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sglv

I plan on starting my own business in the next three-six months and will rely heavily on my computer. Currently I have a 13.9 gb on my "c" drive (with only 1 gb left), and 219 gb on my "d" drive (with 207 gb available). I've never worried much about backup b/c I can find whatever I've lost again. But b/c I will have client files on my computer, it will be extremely important that I have a reliable backup system and they're secure from intruders.

I want to to upgrade my c drive to at 50 gb (will probably purchase a 200 gb and partition), split my "d" in half and install a separate back-up drive.

Can anyone recommend a good book, website, etc. (in layman's terms - I'm not very computer literate) so I can teach myself how to do this?

Would greatly appreciate it.

I use NERO it is easy and reliable or it has been for me backs up to cd. I like you am not that savy with all the tech stuff, but am very pleased with nero. am sure there are others as good little research should prove well for you. there is a backup service online were you back your files up to a of station location but don't know much about it might try googling it. Hope this helps

As a suggestion why don't you tidy up 'C' and transfer all data to drive 'D' to create space on 'C', which is more than large enough for windows and your applications.
You say you want to keep you files safe from intruders, you might be better buying either a tape drive or an external hard drive that you can backup your data and then remove it from the computer.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you'll be keeping valuable data on the computer, I suggest you really analyze your backup process. I have multiple backups for my data, since my development stuff is nowhere else but here. I use USB disks, a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive in a fireproof enclosure in the basement, and DVD+RW media as a backstop for the other backups.

sglv

seamanken said:
I use NERO it is easy and reliable or it has been for me backs up to cd. I like you am not that savy with all the tech stuff, but am very pleased with nero. am sure there are others as good little research should prove well for you. there is a backup service online were you back your files up to a of station location but don't know much about it might try googling it. Hope this helps
Thank you! I found a free remote back-up service today called Mozy, but it has a limit of 2gb.

backing up your files is the smart thing to do, but, the best way to back stuff up is with the paperwork. Computers crash, and disks corrupt, so, paperwork is your best backup

sglv

bigbear said:
As a suggestion why don't you tidy up 'C' and transfer all data to drive 'D' to create space on 'C', which is more than large enough for windows and your applications.
You say you want to keep you files safe from intruders, you might be better buying either a tape drive or an external hard drive that you can backup your data and then remove it from the computer.
Thank you. I did that once a long time ago and nothing would work after that and I had to completely restore my computer. I tried it again yesterday and all seemed o.k. In moving my "documents folder" I gained another 2.5 gb in the C drive. I also compressed and defragged.

I'd like an external drive on top of a remote back-up (I'm paranoid). I've just seen something on Maxtor OneTouch III, but that seems like it's far more than anything I'll need. Any suggestions on one that is quiet and doesn't run hot?

What is strange though, when I went to Mozy to check out this remote back up service, they have a limit of 2 gb, when I checked on my "c" drive, I was only using less than 5% of the 2 gb. I don't understand where all my space is.

sglv

JohnWill said:
If you'll be keeping valuable data on the computer, I suggest you really analyze your backup process. I have multiple backups for my data, since my development stuff is nowhere else but here. I use USB disks, a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive in a fireproof enclosure in the basement, and DVD+RW media as a backstop for the other backups.
Presently I have no backup process at all :eek: Sounds kind of complicated with all that stuff.

Thanks so much, I've got some research to do :D

sglv

Darryl kaal said:
backing up your files is the smart thing to do, but, the best way to back stuff up is with the paperwork. Computers crash, and disks corrupt, so, paperwork is your best backup
So true, but I do not want paper files everywhere. None of the "files" are mine, they belong to the client, and with client-confidentiality, I'd rather just have it all available from my computer only, which is far more secure than paper files.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Darryl kaal said:
Well.... I'll have to respectfully disagree. :rolleyes: While a certain amount of paperwork for critical items may be a good idea, for most computer related data, paper is simply not practical. Backing up my boot partition onto paper, for instance, would be a real challenge! :D Besides, my office is only 12x24, and I don't have room for all the file cabinets for the paper!

sglv

JohnWill said:
Well.... I'll have to respectfully disagree. :rolleyes: While a certain amount of paperwork for critical items may be a good idea, for most computer related data, paper is simply not practical. Backing up my boot partition onto paper, for instance, would be a real challenge! :D Besides, my office is only 12x24, and I don't have room for all the file cabinets for the paper!
Add in privacy concerns of your client, which would mean hiring a company to shred everything when it's complete - not an expense I want.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online