1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition/Drive Too Full to Upgrade to 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jrp, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrp

jrp Thread Starter

My hard drive has two partitions: C and D, with C being about almost full and D virtually empty. In trying to upgrade my operating system to 2000 from 98, I get the message that the C drive doesn't have enough room. Is there a way to install to D and insure that the computer will boot from D. Or do I have to do merge the partitions with a special program such as "Partition Magic," which isn't a big deal but I'm not a real techie either. Thank you.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you install it to your D drive it will be like setting up a Dual boot scenario. You will then have both OSes on there. It is always best to do a clean install when going to 2000 or XP. I personally would back up my data to your D drive or CD and Reformat the Primary partition and install 2000.

3. jrp

jrp Thread Starter

A few questions to accomplish what you suggest. (1) For backing up purposes do I merely copy all my files from C to D, including the program files? (2) And then which program do I use to re-format the C drive? (3) For installing OS 2000 my files are on the D drive (and not a CD). How will I be able to access OS 2000 on the D drive to install to the C drive? Thanks much.

4. Squashman

You have to reinstall your programs if you reinstall your OS. Little confused on why you dont have CD's for 2000. Makes me think you dont have a legal copy. The Windows 2000 installation boots off a cd. When the installation starts it will ask you where you want to install 2000 and if you want to format the drive or not.

BlackViper has a nice guide on his website for installing 2000. But since you dont have a cd, you are basically SOL.

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Install2kPro/install2kpro1.htm

5. jrp

jrp Thread Starter

Many thanks for your help and the reference. My copy is legal, a download from my company's work site and that's the way it's done for home machines. I can put together Win2000 boot disks from an independent site if need be. Thanks again.

6. Squashman

They should have made an ISO file that you can burn to a CD then.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd seriously consider a clean install, you'll be much happier with the results. :)

8. woderwick66

woderwick66

There is also a freeware program called a "partition resizer". This will resize your existing partition without deleting files. Or so the literature says.That's the reason I've interrupted a perfectly good thread. I have the same problem: an existing active partition on win 2000 OS that has been partitioned to a size that is too small for the data on it. Tried to delete the other {extended partition} to find that it does not automatically become incorporated in the active partition ie. by virtue of deleting the extended partition the extra space remains independent of the active partition.
    Does anyone have any experience with this puppy: will this resolve the problem of resizing a partition? Sorry to interrupt the thread, but I think it could be related to the same problem.
    Regards Guy.

The freeware version I found was "Partition Resizer v1.34".
    zeleps.com

9. woderwick66

woderwick66

Forgot to mention there is a "Partition Resizer" for all of the earlier Win operating systems. I think the version you need is also on the web page zeleps. LwdSquashman is right about a clean install. If the size of your active partition is too small a clean install gives you the opportunity to reformat on installation.
    The upgrade is considered the least acceptable out of the two options.
    Just about to try the freeware to resize my active partition so will let you know how it goes.

10. woderwick66

woderwick66

How's it happening jrp?
    LwdSquasman has a habit of making you feel like you've just played a few rounds of golf without any shorts.
    Truth is an upgrade should allow the creation of "bootdisks", by the bowsing of the CD. I share his concern that a company download is cold comfort for the completeness of a clean install.
    Perhaps what you need is a few friends in the public sector!!!!
    Sorry to break the news on the freeware of resizing, but it's certainly big on technical knowledge.
    Squashman is one of the best analytical minds of this forum and would not recommend a clean install without realizing how limited the other options are.
    Certainly a legal version should allow the creation of bootdisks and thereby allow the reformating of the hard drive.
    Hope to hear a better solution than having LwdSquashman breathing down your proverbials.
    Regards Guy.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice