partition fails to read after windows xp upgrade.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

c2phace

I just upgraded to windows xp (forced to) and everything seemed fine. But I then realized the my 2nd storage hard drive fails to read. I have this second hard drive partitioned into 2 drives. One of these partitions works fine, the other (which contains all my stuff0 does not work. The system read the drive as empty and unformatted. It is not empty and has been formatted to NTFS. The only thing that seems wrng is that it is marked as "active" in the computer managment screen. Not rteally sure what that means but thought I would mention it. Any ideas would be great.

P.S I may have accidently marked the partition as "active" in the disk managment window, I think this is what is causing the problem oin the disk. Is there any way to unmark the partition?

Does this other drive that is not being recognized also contain your old operating system?(this would be the drive marked 'active')?

It sounds like you have your old installation on a seperate drive and windows xp was installed on another drive.

c2phace

Im pretty sure there are some files from my old Operating system, which I know could cause problems. But im not sure how to change the "active" status.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online