1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition H: (1 of 5) in XP PRO SP3 keeps showing up as RAW

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cantankerous9, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cantankerous9

cantankerous9 Thread Starter

For the second time in 2 months, my XP PRO SP3 hard drive that has all my user, critical files folders and programs keeps showing the H: partition as RAW, and will not access the Folder, Files or Programs installed on it. The last time, I restored data from Backups and reinstalling software. But the software installed on that drive has licenses, and every time I re - install, I have to reapply for authorization.
    The Disk is 1 TB,(I have two 1 TB Drives installed, each with 5 partitions and boot individually) partitioned into 5 Partitions, the partition that keeps going RAW is the the Extended Partition H that also has a additional Logical Drive in it labeled I:
    I can use and read all the other Partitions including the I: Partition that was created within the H: Partition. It as no Operating Programs from that Partition, it is for data and back ups only. The H Drive Program Files are used extensively. All Programs from all the other Partitions will open and run. I still have on the Desktop the Shortcut Icons that open the Programs on Partition H, they just don't function. H: was called XP CON SYS. That name is also gone. Can't do a disk check from the Management Console. Have tried, also have tried a System Restore, and I can't get the drive or directory structure and files back into view.
    So, any one have a sure fire way to correct this without having to reinstall all the Software and files again? And a way to avoid this issue? I was just getting close to having the drive back with all the files after 6 weeks of work and was going to do a disk image, then bam, it's all gone again. I need some input, help please.
    My partitions on this disk are C:E:G:H:- and I:

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Can you show a disk map to clarify your set-up??

A picture is worth.........?

3. cantankerous9

Hope this works, originally copied and created png in Microsoft Photo Editor.
    Should show the drives and labels, though the drive in question is now only plugged in externally, and has another partition that has also gone RAW.

DiskManage2.png

Directory2.png

4. DaveBurnett

That shows just one disk, and you seem to have three.
    Can you download and install EASEUS Partition Master, which is free and will show all your disks and partitions on one screen.
    Then do a print of that screen and upload it so we can see them all in one place.

5. cantankerous9

OK, Disk 0 is the Current Drive installed in System. Disk 1 and 2 are the drives for removable media cards that are installed on System. Disk 3 is the Disk that was removed and is connected via USB EZ Connect Cable.
    Here are 2 new png images.
    Disk Mgmnt All.png

Disk H aka S Raw.png

Hope this helps. The S Partition on the listed Disk 3 was the original Extended Partition the went RAW as shown in the image above.
    XP Transfer Sys 4 is a Logical Drive that was created within that Extended Partition that was originally H: CON SYS 4, which is how it would read if it were the hard drive installed in the computer. Disk 0 and Disk 3 are very similar when each one is installed. They just have different partition sizes and names vary from the numbering such as XP OPS SYS 4 and XP OPS SYS 5. Disk 0 is the OS I am currently operating under. Make sense? Thanks. ( I also have XP OPS SYS 1, XP OPS SYS 3, Vista OPS SYS and 7 OPS SYS - all different Operating Systems that get plugged into the Second Hard Drive Slot, but have been currently removed for this repair business. I now boot the computer with only 1 hard drive and 1 operating system at a time. The error started to occur when the XP OPS SYS 3 Drive was also installed in the computer.)

6. cantankerous9

Here is another View of the Disk in question. In this version, I have both the Vista OS Disk installed in Disk 0 Slot. Vista Does not have the Flash Drive Reader installed so it does not show up in Disk Management. I also took this snip when the Printer was NOT connected, so it's Flash Drive also does not show up. (Media Reader Drives)
    Disk 1 is the installed internal XP OPS SYS 5 Drive, which I indicated earlier is similar to the
    Disk 2 is connected externally via USB cable and shows the now as indicated 2 partitions O: which when installed was called XP Legacy Sys 4, and P: which was XP CON SYS 4. Both are showing RAW. When original problem occurred it was only the XP CON SYS 4 partition that showed RAW.
    Please Respond
    VistaLayout.PNG

7. DaveBurnett

I would love to know what TESTDISK thinks of it!
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

I don't know how well drive letters are dealt with when the letters have been used many times over in XP

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!