1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bgilmore, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bgilmore

bgilmore Thread Starter

I just bought a new WD 500 gig HD and I'm in the process of installing it. I set it up, installed XP, updated to SP2 and all the other millions of updates microsoft has, and yet I can't access anything past 137 GB. I know this isn't a limitation of the BIOS because I just had a 160 GB drive with multiple partitions set up prior to this one. I know WD's Data Lifeguard Tools should let me create more partitions but it says I cannot select the drive because it is the boot drive. If I run the Data Lifeguard tools from the disk upon startup, it warns me that creating partitions will reformat the disk and delete everything I have, which would mean reinstalling XP, and getting me right back to where I started.

Basically, how to I add partitions to a boot drive so I can access the rest of the storage?

2. norton850

norton850

In order to use the full size of the drive SP1 (or 2) needs to be installed before you do your first partition/format and install Windows. Choices at this point would be to start over with SP2 slipstreamed into your WinXP install disc or with your present install right click on My Computer/Manage/Disk Management and allocate the rest of the drive as a second partition.
    Edit: to continue the second choice: or as many partitions as you want.

3. bgilmore

bgilmore Thread Starter

Thank you. I assumed something as simple as Disk Management existed, I just was completely unaware of it. Exactly what I needed. Thanks again.

4. norton850

norton850

You're welcome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice