1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition Magic 7 problems (1024 Cylinder 'Boot Code Boundary')

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by crisbastap, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crisbastap

crisbastap Thread Starter

I have PowerQuest (Now Symantec) PartitionMagic 7.0
    I have my hard drive partitioned into C: Operating System, D: Programs and E: Data (My Documents etc.). My C Drive is getting very low on free space, so I recently tried to take some of the free space from one of the other partitions and put it on the C Drive. When I tried to add the free space to the C Drive I got this message:

"Resizing or moving an operating system partition beyond the 1024 cylider boundary may make the computer unbootable. Due to INT13 Bios Limitations on some machines, your rescue diskettes may not be able to recover from this situation. Moving all or part of an operating system partition above the specified 'Boot Code Boundary' is not recommended."

I had 7,251 Mb on my C Drive, and no matter how small an increment of additional disk space I tried to add, I got that same message. Is there any way around this without deleting programs from my computer? The C Drive keeps filling up even though I haven't added a new program in ages. I keep the internet cache and temporary download folders empty, and yet I only have about 300 Mb of free space left on the C Drive, and that keeps shrinking. Help!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That message is pretty obsolete, I routinely ignore it. :) Unless you have an old O/S and machine, making your boot partition larger will have no ill effects. FYI, I don't believe I have any machines that have a boot partition smaller than 12gig, and they all boot fine, from W98 through XP.

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Just be careful. There was a Partition Magic bug that started in version 6 that would delete the entire disk! The last I heard it was still in version 7 but a patch was supposed to soon be available for it. They never did make a patch for 6. It happened when you would resize the C: partiton. I finally got rid of PM and bought Acronis Partition Expert. It is ten times faster than PM and much, much easier to use, it is however hard to find in the stores. Some CompUSA and Micro Centers have it though. Well worth the switch ;)

4. iaavagent

iaavagent

I'm confused! What is taking up your C drive if that's where your O/S resides only? Are you running XP? Your programs and data are on D & E. Maybe you need to fine tune your clean up that could give you a lot more C space. TSG has many suggestions for that.Deconfuse me!

5. crisbastap

crisbastap Thread Starter

Good point iaaveagent.

Though I do only have the Operating System installed on the C: partition, for some reason it just keeps filling up, and I do not know why. Can you point me in the right direction here on the site where I can find out more about fine tuning my clean up?

Thanks, Chris

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!