1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition Magic 8.0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jambrose2008, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jambrose2008

jambrose2008 Thread Starter

I have a Dell computer. I am running out of space on c: drive and I am having trouble getting Partition Magic to work. I have one drive with a number of partitions put there by Dell. Can any one help me with the drill to shrink D: and extend C: drive? It is only a 60gb drive.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Is 'D' the recovery partition? If so it might be a better idea to leave that alone and buy an external USB drive for storage/backup of your older stuff & keep what's current on the Dell. You can buy 500gb USB drives for £50 ($75?) or so.

Also, have you cleared out unused docs, vids etc? Have you cleared out temp folders? Basic housekeeping stuff but not using any registry cleaners could save you some space.

Richard

3. jambrose2008

I did all the housekeeping stuff. The main problem is that I have only a 60gb hard drive and I believe the partitions were installed by Dell. Partition Magic 8.0 loaded with no problem but I do not know the drill on how to resize the partitions. On D:, I have around 30gb free.
    John

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I would strongly caution against using Partition Magic. It hasn't been updated in a very long time and has behaved very unpredictably on new(er) systems. Also, if you mess with the Dell partitions, you definitely won't be able to restore the operating system and could cause other problems as well. I would suggest buying a larger hard drive. 60GB is very small.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

6. jambrose2008

Thank you for your responses. The majority vote seems to be a larger hard drive and stay away from Partition Magic.
    John

7. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

You're welcome!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice