1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition Magic

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by BML, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

This is the worst utility. I have had nothing but problems. First it will not open unless I reboot into safe mode, but that's old.

Now, I want to resize my system partition and I waste time going into safe mode and it will not perform the action. It says it needs to reboot to perform the operation but when it reboots all I get is a screen saying "skipping autocheck - xmnt2001 file not found" and it boots back up into windows xp.

I have done the chkdsk /f and it found no problems.

So how the heck do I resize (larger) my partition????

bruce

2. slipe

slipe

I would try uninstalling it and reinstalling.

3. DVOM

DVOM

I always run PartitionMagic from floppies. You can avoid alot of problems by booting directly to the DOS PartitionMagic GUI.

4. mobo

mobo

I have a set of those as well and never had one single blip of trouble yet.. :D

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

BML I like partition Magic but I will never buy it again because I (personally) don't like the way the company does business. If you can get it working right then I'm sure you will like the program too.

You didn't say what version you have. Let us know and we'll take it from there ;)

6. BML

BML Thread Starter

Well I had version 8. I did try booting from the floppy but then it would not perform the action requested because of "errors" such as something wrong with the FAT table, and then another error that says "too many errors"! I ran chkdsk /f and it found no errors.

so, I tried a partition program from Acronis. It starts right up in windows, and it allowed me to resize one partition, then it reboots to perform this, and then reboots to windows and its all done. Only problem I encountered was that darn "xmnt2002" message on startup. I had completely uninstalled all powerquest from my system. So I went into the registry and looked for the boot execute and it had something like autocheck = xmnt2002....... something about a file called pqbatch which is related to Powerquest Partition Magic. I manually changed the registry value to autocheck autochk*and the xmnt2002 message is gone. This boot execute appears twice in the registry; do the same for both.

So, that was very easy and painless way to manage my partitions using Acronis Partition Expert. I had used Powerquest's Drive Image 2002 to make backups but that froze my system unless it was in safe mode but several months ago I uninstalled that and went with Acronis True Imageand it works like a charm from inside windows. I like Acronis' products and most likely wont ever use a Powerquest product.

7. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

OK, lets start at the beginning. Your floppy's made be corrupted. Put them in and post a list of what is on each one.

Also, is this the only problem that you are having with the computer?

8. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Also, just so that we are both on the same page, that xmnt2001 file is a .exe file right?

And have you run a debug report yet? If no then we can do one later but first I need to make sure about your floppy's, and then we can move to step two.

9. BML

BML Thread Starter

It does not say if xmnt2002 is an .exe - it does not have an extension. I just checked, there is no file anywhere on my comp. called xmnt2002.

I'm not having any other probs with the computer.

floppy 1 has
    autoexe2
    chkdsk
    display
    ega.cpi
    fdisk
    himem
    keyb
    mode
    partinfo
    ptedit

floppy 2 has:
    boot
    mouse
    mouse config settings
    pmhelp
    pqmagic
    pqmagic.ovl
    pqmagic.pqg
    rescue (txt file)
    zabout.pqg

10. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

OK so far so good. I must say up front that as much as I would love to rag about Powerquest I can't (a chickens got morals you know) and this most likely isn't a Powerquest problem. It is most likely caused by WinXP. People who don't even have Partition Magic have this problem when they try to boot up with XP!

There are some engineers who also think that it is a hardware problem with either the HD or a USB keyboard. Some have reported that if you tap any key while the OS is booting that the problem goes away. More than anything it is a partition problem, and the one thing that all three (Windows XP, Partition Magic and the hard drive) have in common is partitions. It has also been noted that this problem seems to happen a LOT more overseas for some reason. I think you must be one of the first to have it happen over here ;)

The best solution is a little tricky. Basically what you have to do is to reinstall OVER your copy of Partition Magic and watch for when it copy's the xmnt2002.exe file (about 80% through) and then STOP the installation, because as soon as the installation is finished it will delete that file! Be careful that you copy the xmnt2002.exe file, and not the xmnt2000.exe or xmnt2001.exe file! So copy it and put it safely on your desktop for now. I have to make some phone calls about this before we go any further because some people have also reported that running XP without this file can sometimes cause the whole drive to just suddenly disappear (become hidden), and I want to make sure that we don't run into that problem, but copy that file for now and then we can go from there tomorrow :D

11. BML

BML Thread Starter

Well it appears that i do not have this file; I did a file search and came up with nothing on that name..

the problem may be that PQ is finicky about working with different OS's and configurations. But the Acronis product functioned perfectly from the first install.... go figure!

12. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

You won't have the file. That's the problem, you should have it but you don't. And again, people without PM and Acronis are still having this problem, so most likely it's a WinXP problem. And PM only has this problem in XP, not WinME or 2k or 98. I have a bunch of WinXP tech papers on this problem but I haven't had the time to read them all. I will look at them tomorrow. There is a fix for this problem but unfortunately the answers are all in Spanish, Italian or German :D

13. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Check to see if you have this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute

Do NOT touch anything just yet! We just want to verify if you have it or not ;)

If you have one that looks close, but not the same, post what it is.

14. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

For some reason the "find" tool does not see the xmnt2002.exe file.

Check manually and see if you have it in this folder:

C:... \windows\system32

If you do then let me know.

15. BML

BML Thread Starter

nope. not there.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!