partition magic

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

clmowers

Hello all,
Im looking for a program that will replace partition magic 8.0 in windows vista. i did get the program to run and it looks like it performs what you ask but it really doesnt. i have a linux partition that was over writen when i installed vista and want to reformate the linux partition into the windows. Windows doesn see it so i have to use a 3rd party program to do so. does any one have any ideas?

Just boot into Linux and use a Linux program to format it to NTFS. I don't know of one because I don't use Linux, but I am sure there is one out there.

But first, are you sure Windows doesn't recognize the partition? You can go into Vista's disk managment area to check. (Start > Right-click on Computer > Manage.)

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Just run Partition Magic 8 from the CD, which is bootable and acts as a Partition Magic recovery disk.

clmowers

Thats everyone for you input. I ended up booting off the CD and it seemed to work.

Erickrocks- Thanks for your input. Yes in the disk management, windows did see it. But i couldnt do anything with it. If i tried to delete or format it just eneded up giving me and error stating that the format was unreconized. I also couldnt boot into linux because when I installed vista, It wipe out the grub with made linux unbootable.

I downloaded a live version of Knoppix from www.linuxquestions.org , It has a partition tool that is very easy to use that can be accessed by just booting the cd. I also had the problems that clmowers had, for some reason the disk management utility in Vista just wasn't playing nice.

Partition Manager 9 Personal from Paragon might be a good replacement for PowerQuest's (Norton) Partition Magic. It doesn't seem that Symantec feels like doing anything with it insofar as Vista is concerned. Vista has Disk Manager under Administrative Tools which may be of use.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online