1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

partition magic

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by clmowers, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clmowers

clmowers Thread Starter

Hello all,
    Im looking for a program that will replace partition magic 8.0 in windows vista. i did get the program to run and it looks like it performs what you ask but it really doesnt. i have a linux partition that was over writen when i installed vista and want to reformate the linux partition into the windows. Windows doesn see it so i have to use a 3rd party program to do so. does any one have any ideas?

2. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Just boot into Linux and use a Linux program to format it to NTFS. I don't know of one because I don't use Linux, but I am sure there is one out there.

But first, are you sure Windows doesn't recognize the partition? You can go into Vista's disk managment area to check. (Start > Right-click on Computer > Manage.)

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Just run Partition Magic 8 from the CD, which is bootable and acts as a Partition Magic recovery disk.

4. clmowers

clmowers Thread Starter

Thats everyone for you input. I ended up booting off the CD and it seemed to work.

Erickrocks- Thanks for your input. Yes in the disk management, windows did see it. But i couldnt do anything with it. If i tried to delete or format it just eneded up giving me and error stating that the format was unreconized. I also couldnt boot into linux because when I installed vista, It wipe out the grub with made linux unbootable.

5. rberry88

rberry88

I downloaded a live version of Knoppix from www.linuxquestions.org , It has a partition tool that is very easy to use that can be accessed by just booting the cd. I also had the problems that clmowers had, for some reason the disk management utility in Vista just wasn't playing nice.

6. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Glad you got it working. :)

7. infomagick

infomagick

Partition Manager 9 Personal from Paragon might be a good replacement for PowerQuest's (Norton) Partition Magic. It doesn't seem that Symantec feels like doing anything with it insofar as Vista is concerned. Vista has Disk Manager under Administrative Tools which may be of use.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice