1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

partition manager on a boot disk?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wunderfly, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wunderfly

wunderfly Thread Starter

my Western Digital HD came with a Data Lifeguard Tools diskette that can format and create partitions... but I want to try to create a new partition out of free space on an existing partition.

I cannot load windows I can only boot from diskette. even after running set up it says No Operating System. so is there a program I can download and save on a diskette that will allow me to manage my partitions?

through set up I was able to see the files and partitions still alive on the drive through DOS prompt (recovery console)

thanks

Petra

2. wunderfly

wunderfly Thread Starter

3. raybro

raybro

I'm a little confused about your question.:confused: I think what you are saying is the current partition takes up the entire drive and you want to add another partition. If that's the case, I suggest what you need to do is delete the existing partition and create a new 1st primary partition of a specific size so you have space for whatever size second partition you want. I don't know if the WD utilities will let you do this, but I would think it would. You can also do it in fdisk.

Personally, I use a 3rd party software called Partition Commander for all my partition management work. Makes it almost idiot proof (which I need) and very versitile. Partition Commander would let you resize the existing partition and create a another (second) partition. I have used Partition Commander a lot more than I ever thought I would when I purchased it.

4. wunderfly

wunderfly Thread Starter

I dont want to delete the existing partition. Is it possible to split a partition without deleting it first?

5. raybro

raybro

I've not used WD utilities, so I can't say whether you can resize a partition with it, but I have my doubts. I was unable to find anything free with google. I know for sure you cannot resize a partition with fdisk.

I looked at the WD site and there is no indication you can resize a partition. Look through the WD utilities for resizing. If there is nothing there, I'm afraid you are stuck with either deleting the existing partition and starting over or purchasing a partition management software like Partition Magic or Partition Commander. Either will do the resize and create a second partition quite safely easily without losing any data.

I'm not quite sure you are hesitant to delete the current partition. According to you original post, you have not installed anything yet. What's to lose?

6. wunderfly

wunderfly Thread Starter

it's not a new hd, it does have stuff on it that I dont want to delete..

but thanks for looking for free partition software... I couldnt find anything either (except that one link I posted) but I think I've found a work around... using an old hd

7. raybro

raybro

WARNING! ... I went to this site http://www.cadvancedap.com/Zeleps/ refereneced in and earlier post in this thread just to check it out. My Norton Firewall or AV (not sure which) detected and stopped a malicious script. There was also a window asking if I wanted to set my home page to some site. Had to say no 3 times to get rid of it.

Ran Spybot and found 3 new Registry key entries all with the same title "FindTheWebSiteYouNeed" . 1 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and 2 in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. verified home page still set as before.

8. wunderfly

wunderfly Thread Starter

9. Rockn

Rockn

If you want to reallocate and create new partitions on an already partitioned and formated hard drive you need something like Partition Magic or something similar.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice