1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition of HP Laptop HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Minhaz, Aug 12, 2018 at 1:35 AM.

Advertisement
  1. Minhaz

Minhaz Thread Starter

Hello. I have HP laptop Intel Core i3-7100u 2.40 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 10.

It has only one drive but I want to add two more drives. I read tutorials on how to devide the HDD. It says go to Disk management and shrink the HDD. But it seems I can only devide the HDD into parts. I need 3 drives. Also my C drive has 952 GB free sapces but under "Shrink" method it shows shrinkable area is 512 GB (Apx numbers). I want to give C drive 250 GB for windows. Rest 2 drives like 350 GB each.

Now what to do? How to achieve that?

Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 1:41 AM
  2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Why 3 ???
    Do HPs (W10) still have the recovery partition ??

I'd try Partition Wizard
    or .... How about using a mem card for the third ?

Size is because there's OS "stuff" recorded out to 512GB ...
    Size may change after a defragg ????

I've always made the HP recovery DVDs ...
    Then made an Acronis Image ...
    Then replaced the HDD with a better one .. WD Black 7200rpm.
    And saved the original HDD as a back up.
    Then restored just the OS .. with 3 other back ups, recovery partition not needed now.
    You can build the C drive to any size when recovering the OS with acronis.
    The HP recovery DVDs will function as a recovery partition if needed for an app recovery.

I'm now using a small SSD (256GB) for the OS ... and a mem card for my 2 partitions in my HP

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 7:39 AM
  3. Minhaz

Minhaz Thread Starter

This Partition Wizards demo version does not devide HDD until you buy it.

This partion im trying to use using windows own computer management> disk management. My C drive is only 108 GB occupied buy why shrinkable are is only 420 GB (apx.) where my HDD is 1 TB?

Shrink C.JPG

Thank you.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

There's system stuff recorded around 420GB ... It won't move (defragg) when the system is running for windows management.

As I remember, I defragged in an external enclosure using another computer running XP and that worked on W7 to reduce the min size.
    Using XP to defragg , I could see about where it was in W7 ... And the W7 OS was not running

Defragg when the OS is not running to move (defragg) it all.
    But Nowadays, Who knows what works in W10 ???

If you're playing with Partitioning .. You're messing in dangerous territory ....
    You better have a backup plan

Sorry, It's been a long time since I've needed to Partition ????
    Try This one

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 4:50 PM
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice