1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by georgeg2000, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georgeg2000

georgeg2000 Thread Starter

I have a second hard drive (40 mb) in my system which I've split into a 40 gb partition for data, a 39.5 gb reiser fs partion for linux and a 0.5 gb linux swap partition. I've been having problems doing a re-install of linux. In the past, what I've done is go into Partition Magic, delete the linux partions and then install linux into the empty space on the hard drive. (The install creates the proper partitions in the empty space.) Recently when I ran Partition Magic, it gave me an error message about a length record on that drive being in error and would I like to correct it. I said yes and when I looked at the partion, now I only have one partition showing and the drive is marked bad in PM. PM also says it can't partion the drive, repartition the drive, indeed, it says there is no partion on the drive! I've run fdisk after booting from a win 98 floppy (I'm running XP Pro, btw) and it doesn't see the second hard disk at all. The good news is I can still access the data drive from windows but I'd like to get the drive properly partitioned again because I think it might help me with my linux installations which are a PITA at best. My hard disks are/were formatted as FAT32 for what its worth. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to repartition my second hard drive? I backed up all the data last night using Ghost.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice