Partition problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mah3r

just finished installing windows vista but during the process

I had decided to partition my 500gb hard drive into 175gb as C

and the rest as D or whatever but now with vista

installed the problem is I only see the 175 but not the

rest... what do I do, any help would be appreciated?

edited:
maybe I shouldn't have put this in hardware.. duh!!

I don't know about Vista--not enough familiarity. But, in Windows XP/2000, it's Start> Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Computer Management> Disk Management. In there, you first create an extended partition in the unused space and then create a logical drive within that partition--then you format it.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management. Right-click the unallocated space and create a new partition. Format as NTFS at the default cluster size, do a quick format unless you suspect problems with the drive, and assign a drive letter (that can be changed, if you choose).

Mah3r

thx for the replies ill be sure too try and comment back, only im w/phone a now

Elvandil,

In previous versions of Windows (2000/XP), you created the extended partition and then a drive within that partition. Is that not the way it is done in Vista?

Just asking.

It will probably be a primary by default. And the wizard does the partitioning and formatting in one step. I don't recall even making an extended partition in XP. That wizard was similar to the one in Vista.

Maybe it did. You know how automatic that stuff gets after a while and I just click somewhat automatically :D.

Now that I think about it, I think the wizard asks if you want to format or not. You don't need to.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online