1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition Problems With External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ghost76, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ghost76

Ghost76 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a WD My Passport Ultra External Hard Drive 3TB. I formatted it to work with my PS4 and now I want to use it on my HP2000 laptop again. The only problem is, it now has a partition in it and I only have 1.8 TB available of a 3 TB Hard Drive. How do I totally reformat all 3TB and put back to factory defaults?

Thank You
    Ghost76

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    You can either format it through Disk manager by deleting all partitions or using the following commands from a command prompt and pressing enter key after each one.

Type diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0 (or the correct disk you want to format) Be very careful you select the correct disk)
    clean
    convert gpt
    create partition
    format quick fs=ntfs
    assign
    exit

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Paul23 likes this.
  3. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

4. Ghost76

Ghost76 Thread Starter

When I type Disk 0 and hit enter, a lot of script comes up. When I type Clean, it tells me no disk selected.

5. Ghost76

Ghost76 Thread Starter

I'm also not sure how to use Disk Manager. I see it has 1,800 MB of unallocated space

6. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    After you type list disk this will show you list of drives that you have connected with numbers. Then you use select disk with the correct # of the drive you want to format. It is very important that you select the correct drive and do not format your main drive or other drive. If you have any questions about which to choose please provide a screenshot and ask before proc

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    To use the whole disk as one partition you will have to convert it to GPT if it isn't already.

The link in post #3 by SpywareDr shows how to do it.

SpywareDr likes this.
  8. Ghost76

Ghost76 Thread Starter

I have a WD My Passport Ultra 3TB External that I formatted to use with my PS4. I now want to use it on my HP2ooo again. It has a partition in it now and I can't seem to delete it. I went to MS DOS and entered DISKPART, select disk #, clean. It says "Virtual Disk Service error:
    Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume."

9. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    I am not sure why you started a new reply. We need to make sure you are selecting the correct disk with diskpart. Please provide a screenshot or picture after running the following commands so we can verify

diskpart
    list disk

10. Ghost76

Ghost76 Thread Starter

[​IMG] I've selected zero. It is almost a TB. MY External HDD is 3 TB. The other 1800 shown is the rest of it.

11. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Are you absolutely sure that is the correct drive. Usually zero is the boot drive and not an external drive. Please provide a screenshot as I asked or you can severely mess up your computer by choosing the wrong drive.

12. Ghost76

Ghost76 Thread Starter

13. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Ok you definitely do not want to select disk 0. You want to Select disk 1. follow the commands

Type diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 1
    clean
    convert gpt
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs
    assign
    exit

14. Ghost76

Ghost76 Thread Starter

15. Ghost76

Ghost76 Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice