1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MissAnthropy, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MissAnthropy

MissAnthropy Thread Starter

I went to reformat a buggy Dell Inspiron 5150 w/the OEM WinXP Home edition when I ran into huge problems. For some reason it wouldn't let me delete the partition to create a new one. It gave me a message that said "Unable to delete this partition because it has files important to the windows installation setup" Then I did something stupid, very very stupid and without thinking (obviously) I installed anyway (yes, over the previous installation!) Now I have an unstable computer that thinks it has two versions of XP on it, (except of course one doesn't load, and the other is very unstable) Now I really need to just wipe the drive clean and start fresh, but as I mentioned before it won't let me.

Someone help me please!!!!!

2. Jolin

Jolin

If it is the same as with w2k, you can probably use the install disk and use the "recovery consol" to reformat the partition. Log into, I guess, the working install. Then "FORMAT C: /FS:NTFS" (change drive letter and file system if you need to of course).

3. Dan O

Dan O

4. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon

Hi,
    You need to do a low-level-format (LLF) to your hard drive (write 0s to every single byte), then run the XP Setup program by booting from the CD....
    - You can find out the hard drive manufacturer at the BIOS POST screen, just as the computer is starting, it usually flashes very quickly, so you need to press PAUSE (BREAK) on your keyboard at the right moment to read it. Then download a hard drive utility from your manufacturer's website. You can also use Wester Digital's DataLifeGuard Diagnostics program which works with almost all hard drives, here's where to download it (NOTE: It's the DOS version [it creates a DOS boot floppy])
    http://support.wdc.com/download/dlg/DlgDiagv504c.exe

Then run XP Setup by booting from the CD-ROM and then walk through the process of partitioning and installing Windows XP Home Edition....

If you can't boot from the CD, then you can download the XP Home Floppy Boot Disks and they will allow you to install XP without booting from the CD...
    www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Alternatively, you can start Windows XP Home Setup by running WINNT.EXE from the I386 folder on your CD-ROM after booting from a Windows 98 bootdisk, also from the above link...

5. MissAnthropy

MissAnthropy Thread Starter

Whew! I managed to fix everything and my computer is working flawlessly. Thanks so much for your help everyone, you guys were a life saver!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice