1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

partition programs for Windows NT/2000/XP NTFS partitions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Spop, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spop

Spop Thread Starter

I want to partition my hard drive on my laptop, so I can have two OS on it. Does anyone know of a free program similar to FIPS that works with Windows NT/2000/XP NTFS partitions?

2. terryxp

terryxp

3. Spop

Spop Thread Starter

Thanks

4. Spop

Spop Thread Starter

Ok. I downloaded it and burn it on a cd, but when I tried to use it, it just locked up my screen. Is there any other cost-free ideas I can try?

5. terryxp

terryxp

Huh, what OS are you using? I've used this prog many times with no issues.

6. Spop

Spop Thread Starter

Windows XP Home. I also have a recovery partition on my hard drive.

7. terryxp

terryxp

I had an issue with partitionmagic with a Dell laptop, with the symantec recovery partition on it where it really made a mess of a system. That hidden recovery partition can be a problem for sure, I will step aside for someone with knowledge on it. I will say however, I did find a way around the issue using ubuntu live cd to make some "adjustments". Way to complicated for me to get into here...

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If Partition MAgic is not working on your computer a warning to the wise - Do not force it to run, you will be sorry. It just might not work on this computer.

One solution to this problem is to get another hard drive and make it a slave on the secondary IDE cable. Then you can install your second OS and will be zooming away in no time.

By the way Partition Magic is not free and you say you downloaded it. The only places I know to download it is thru the programs like Limewire and Kazaa or other ones like that. This is illegal and should not be done. There are free programs out there that do what you want then to do but these are extremely dangerous to use and you could loose all of your data and most of these file sharing networks are loaded with infectious programs and your computer will then get infected, it just ain't worth it..

I would suggest backing up all of your important data before proceding wiith this task

9. Spop

Spop Thread Starter

I don't think think I want to go the Partition Magic route. Any other suggestions?

10. Spop

Spop Thread Starter

Bump!

11. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i'm not sure about recover cd's but real 2k/xp cd's can remove/create as many partitions as you want from the install cd, format and then the install the os..

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!