1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition Removed / File Recovery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CDobyns, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDobyns

CDobyns Thread Starter

I recently upgraded to a larger hard drive for my laptop, after dutifully backing-up virtually every file I had onto compact disks. While reformatting the new drive with the new O/S, I inadvertently made the mistake of keeping my old hard drive attached to the computer (via an external hard drive enclosure) - and when prompted during the reformatting process I agreed (stupidly) to the installation request to remove the existing partition from the old hard drive (obscure/unfamiliar drive letters the OS referenced is my only lame excuse here). Up until that point the drive had been intact, and was bootable, or at a minimum, could be read by virtually any computer via the external hard drive enclosure connection. Now I'm not able to read the drive at all.

Since I'm posting this, obviously I was able to complete the new hard drive upgrade successfully - but there were a couple of super-large files on my old hard drive that I was not able to easily get onto the back-up set of compact disks, along with my most recent bookmarks file - and a couple of other files, that I would like to recover, if possible.

I know that the existing files and file structure all still exist on the old hard drive, since only the partition was removed, and at least I didn't make the mistake of reformatting the old hard drive - so all those files are still essentially intact on the old hard drive. I've thought of a couple approaches to recovering those files, but before I do anything, I thought I would draw on the collective knowledge of everyone for some suggestions first. Ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice