1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition resized, Windows 8.1 not booting, UEFI

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by killer_cain, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. killer_cain

killer_cain Thread Starter

Hi all,

Ok, I have a new lenovo ideapad 305 (system is UEFI boot), I used minitool partition wizard to resize the c: & d: drives (to increase space on the D) but didn't touch anything else, rebooted into windows & it seemed nothing had changed, so I booted up by USB and the partitions were exactly what I had changed them to. Thinking this was really weird, I tried rebooting & have not been able to get into windows since.
    I have tried recovery through the windows 8.1 cd but it does not recognise the partitions at all! So I can't even use diskpart or the like, I have tried several boot recovery tools, some see the partitions & some don't, so I guess I need to make the partitions UEFI-enabled? I'm not fully savvy with UEFI & I've tried every piece of advice I could find, but i'm stuck, any clues?

Thanks for any help!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. How was the minitool wizard used - downloaded and run from windows
    or downloaded and run from usb

2. you mention windows 8.1 CD
    Do you mean DVD please and if so from where please was this obtained OR is it a recovery DVD you have made from your Lenovo computer

3. You say you booted USB - which USB please

4. If the partitions are not recognised it seems likely you have corrupted the GPT partition table and if so you will be extremely luck to recover without a complete reinstall

5. Your first step is this
    BIOS setup utility

What is the BIOS setup utility?

The BIOS setup utility is ROM-based software. It communicates basic

computer information and provides options for setting boot devices,

security, hardware mode, and other preferences.

How can I start the BIOS setup utility?

To start the BIOS setup utility:

1 Shut down the computer.

2 Press the Novo button and then select BIOS Setup.

How can I change the boot priority?

There are two boot priorities: UEFI First and Legacy First. To change the

boot priority, start the BIOS setup utility and set Boot Priority to UEFI First

or Legacy First in the Boot menu.

Check you are set UEFI first and then try windows 8.1 DVD

4. As a last resort if all else fails you can try a restore to factory condition from the recovery partition

If Windows cannot be started, follow the steps below to start the Lenovo

OneKey Recovery system:

1 Shut down the computer.

2 Press the Novo button. From the Novo Button Menu, select System

recovery and press Enter.

IF HOWEVER you have data you value on the present installation you need to ensure that is secured first.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  3. killer_cain

Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't clarify, I ran the minitool wizard from a bootable USB.
    It was the windows 8.1 dvd I ran, the installation disc (it didn't come with the laptop) didn't get any discs with it, don't have the repair disc either.

I've gone through the BIOS, tried disabling secure boot, swapping between UEFI First and Legacy First, but cannot get the windows dvd to see the partitions or even refresh or reset, it gives the error "the drive where windows is installed is locked" or "unable to reset your pc. a required drive partition is missing", but the minitool wizard sees the partitions just fine. I've tried several discs such as hiren's cd just to try to get to a GUI (mini windows) but always get a bluescreen (trying to load the GUI).
    Even the command prompt is useless as it cannot see any partitions.
    I tried the System recovery from the Novo Button Menu, but all I get is "Default boot device missing or boot failed" it then demands installation media which I already know won't help with recovery.
    Would it be right to assume (since at least some tools can see the partitions)
    that it is simply a problem with how the partition table is being identified? If that's the case, is there any software tool that can correct it?
    I'd rather fix the problem than reload the whole thing (but it looks like I'll end up doing just that), any further ideas?

4. Macboatmaster

when you boot from the windows 8.1 install media and then go repair your computer and command prompt
    you are then on a ramdrive prompt created for the purpose of the repair environment
    when at that prompt
    type
    bcdedit
    what is the result

5. killer_cain

It gives:
    "The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
    The requested system device could not be found."

6. Macboatmaster

what are the partitions shown on the minitool - whatever it is
    I am sure you are aware of this, but please remember that I do not know your level of knowledge
    windows 8.1 pre-installed is on uefi and a gpt partitioned disc
    One of the partitions is a FAT partition - unlettered and containing the windows boot manager
    It is from that partition that the boot is made after the firmware has handed control to the boot manager
    Without that partition or if it is corrupted you get the results you are obtaining now
    My suspicion is that this minitool - whatever it is has re-sized the partions C to D but has failed to take account of the FAT partition

7. Macboatmaster

Further to the above please confirm that when you type
    diskpart
    and press enter on cmd prompt
    it then produces the prompt on diskpart
    what happens then please

This is what I refer to above
    DISKPART> select disk 0
    DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ------ ----- ---------- ------- --------- ------
    Volume 0 D NTFS Partition 103 GB Healthy
    Volume 1 C NTFS Partition 49 GB Healthy Boot
    Volume 2 FAT32 Partition 200 MB Healthy System It is this FAT partition which I think is the cause of your problem - if diskpart will not produce a result on
    list disk

then I agree - you are facing a fresh install

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  8. Macboatmaster

9. killer_cain

Thanks for the advice, will let you know how it works out(y)

10. Macboatmaster

you are welcome
    Cannot promise of course but MAY BE if you wait until I return and post results of my suggestions with diskpart
    we MAY recover something with a bit of luck and a slight degree of knowledge

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1158992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice