1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

partition strategy

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vanmol, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanmol

vanmol Thread Starter

There just doesn't seem to be a clear concensus on how to partition a single HD. I am waiting for my new Barebone system and would like to configure my partitions for optimal performance. Should I install the OS on the first partition and the Program files on the second partition? I was also thinking of creating another partition for all music and video files. I think everyone agrees that a page file partition should only go on a second HD so that is not an issue. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Programs install entries into the windows registry,so putting them on a seperate partition
    will not help in case of a failed OS partition.
    Performance will not be enhanced as the files are on the same drive.

It's a good idea to store music and video files on a seperate partition or
    even a seperate drive incase the primary fails.

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Agree with, "Programs install entries into the windows registry,so putting them on a seperate partition will not help in case of a failed OS partition."

I have two partitions, "C" for OS and programs and another for data files.

I suggest saving all download "exe" files in a folder on a partition other than "C." Then, if you need to reload a program(s) you don't have to download it. Of course, it may have to updated.

Also, backing up "C" and the other partition(s) is a must.

{redoak}

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!