1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition Table corrupt after Chkdsk failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kirak, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirak

Kirak Thread Starter

So, here's the full rundown of my problem:
    I was downloading a game from steam on my new (Week old) Windows 7 Desktop, when I get a error about write failed, so I go and run chkdsk. I leave it on overnight thinking it'll be finished by the time I get up. It wasn't. It got stuck on Step 5/5 ~37%, and I read it's safe to reboot your PC if it's in stage 4 or 5, so I did.
    Then the BIOS says "disk boot failure... insert system disk and press enter". So I do. Windows 7's install disk loads up, so I run startup repair. 3 hours later it's still "Attempting to repair". So I just opt for a clean reinstall, since it's basically a brand new PC with not much on it... Well, When I get to the part to select a disk, I can see 1 partition, 900~ GB of space, so I click "New", since all the other options are greyed out. This gives me "there are no partitions on this disk to show" and a little ! box appears and says Windows can't be installed to this drive. I open the recovery console. /sfc scannow can't run because "There is a system repair pending" Bootrec can't find a Windows install, and something about "A device attached to the system is not functioning".

Now's when I get gParted.
    I grab the live USB image, burn it to a spare USB drive I have, and boot up through USB on my desktop.
    It says something about a disk I/O error and a lot of udevd Timeout while booting, and eventually ends up in the GUI and starts scanning all devices.
    After a while, it says "I/O Error on dev/sda", then starts Searching /dev/sda for Partitions.
    When it finished that, it shows up with a partition labeled "unallocated" with a filesystem of "unallocated. With a Warning of input/output error during read on /dev/sda. /dev/sda: unrecognized disk label. So, I decide to scrap everything and redo the partition table..
    Then.. It says "Libparted Bug! Input Output error during read on /dev/sda", And "Error while creating partition table..."

Is my brand new HDD in need of an RMA? I'm at my wit's end here..

2. ajkane

ajkane

Ya...that hard drive is shot. It should be still under warranty, right? If so contact the manufacturer and tell them your problem, they might have an issue with the fact that you tried to fix the issue yourself. Tell us the results of your contact with the manufacturer please!

3. Kirak

Kirak Thread Starter

Alright, thanks. I'll do what I can.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice