1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition table erased, recovered, chkdsk problems!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by blued, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blued

blued Thread Starter

Hi, I dual boot windows 7 32 and 64 bit OS's and was using a program to measure the speed of a USB flash drive. You have to select the drive and a warning comes up that all data will be destroyed. I've used it before many times but somehow I absent-mindedly chose the wrong drive, my Windows 7 32bit boot drive! I was in my 64bit OS when it happened, but realized my mistake after 2 or 3 secs of it occurring and stopped it immediately.

Well, it looks like it erased the partition table and I lost all 3 partitions of that drive, it became a 'raw drive'. I had an Acronis recovery disk and was happy to see that it 'worked' - it found my partitions and all the data on them seemed in place. But I knew the Win7 32bit OS was probably gone (where all the boot files are) or corrupted so I restored a ghost image of it. I rebooted into my 64bit OS, but as I was doing so, chkdsk swung into action and I let it do its thing. But it then began recovering orphaned files and placing them into numbered directories! Its still going on as I speak (400gb partition with over 200,000 files). What I fear is that they will all be a jumbled mess that I wont be able to sort out! Please advise, thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice