1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partition Trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whitestar, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whitestar

Whitestar Thread Starter

I installed linux on a 40g Hd. Then with partition magic i removed the linux partitions and put on an ntfs partition. I tried to install 2k, but it wont boot from the cd, instead it tries to install linux.
    I went back to partition magic, but all i see is an ntfs partition, but only 8gb big.

Is this problem fixable or is the hd dead?

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

It should still boot from the CD unless you have it set to boot from the hard drive first in the bios. But I'd use a bootdisk and fdisk the system, erase the partitions, create new ones, then boot the cd and format a new partition. Besides, the NTFS that win2000 uses is different than the NTFS that winXP uses. Win XP can read win2000, but not vice versa.

3. Whitestar

Whitestar Thread Starter

Well when it didnt boot from the cd i made sure that i had set it to boot from cd first and it was. I tried this with another hd and it booted so its not the cd or the cd drive.

I have tried erasing the partition in fdisk, but it still tries to load linux.

As for the NTFS thing, 2000 does recognise XP as there is only one type of NTFS.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Quick search on net brought up this useing "ntfs version" as keywords.. There's more than one version.

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/whistler.asp

Incidentally, Windows XP includes NTFS version 3.1, which is newer than the version used in Windows 2000. This means that Windows 2000-era disk utilities--such as Diskeeper and Partition Magic 6--should not be used with Windows XP. If you want to use either of these applications, be sure you're using the latest, Windows XP-compatible version.

Course, maybe the new version support was added with service packs.

5. Whitestar

Whitestar Thread Starter

Im using partition magic 8 so i shouldnt have a problem there, but ive still got the problem that partion magic can only see 8gb of a 40gb hd.

6. mobo

mobo

Use Powermax utility to write zeroes to the drive as fdisk will not recognize ext or resierfs partitions.

7. Whitestar

Whitestar Thread Starter

Ok im running the powermax util and its taking ages to run the SMART self test.
    Is this normal?

8. mobo

mobo

Yep...the bigger the drive the longer as well..My 30 gig drive took about 30 minutes to do after removing red hat.

9. Whitestar

Whitestar Thread Starter

Cheers. Just checking. I hate it when things seem to stop happening, just about as much as i hate it when problems fix themselves.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice