1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partitioning a hard drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by CaptainPicardX, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainPicardX

CaptainPicardX Thread Starter

Newbie ---> I am doing my first computer build with Windows 7. I haven't gotten all the parts yet. I have been doing some research on the web and some people say that it is better to partition your hard drive with the OS on separate partition C:/ from the rest. I ordered a 1tb hard drive , so when I start installing the OS should I leave like 200 gb for the OS and the other 800 for the rest. BTw is the other 800gb is that automatically the D:/ drive or is that gonna be on the first 200gb? Also do i have to format both of them or just one or what? Or should I just stop screwing around and let windows do it automatically ? I`m just trying to get the best performance out all the hardware for my Web browsing and when I watch movies.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

There is no performance improvement to partitioning . . Many of us like to separate the Operating System and Applications from the data . . so that if a reinstall becomes necessary, the data is safe on the second partition.

If you create one smaller one, it will be C . . the CD/DVD drives will normally be D ( and E if there is a second one ) and the larger partition will be the next letter. You can change all of them except the one with the operating system after the installation is complete.

After you have the Operating System installed, you format the larger one using Disc Management

3. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Good luck with the build! :)

Since you are not asking a tech question, but advice I have tons of that for free. ;)

Partitioning is as personal as what room in your new house you want to use for your computer room, or which one for the dining room. I prefer one partition (C:) for the OS, obviously, and allow enough room for it and installed programmes. I have 50 gig for my XP OS partition but it's more than half full so if you have a terabyte drive to play with why not go 100 gig? I'm sure W7 will require more space over time than my little old XP.

One thing to remember when considering partitions is that the bigger they are the harder they are to maintain. It's easier to defrag/format/virus scan, etc. than one huge partition. And with that much space (though I don't know what you plan to save onto it) definitely consider saving at least two copies of everything. And for me, no matter how big a drive I have I prefer a second drive in case of a physical failure.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice