Partitioning a slave hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Voodoomelon

I have a Pentium 3 600mhz, 448mb RAM and 10gb HD on Win ME.
I recently added a second 10gb hard disk and booted up, but the hard drive was not in My Computer.
So i ran FDISK, and set up a primary DOS partition and then a an extended partition, which i dont really understand, but it works.
The problem is that in order to use up all the space on the new hard drive, i had to create FOUR partitions!!
Is it not possible to just have the new hard drive as one without any partitions at all?
Thanks.

When you fdisked it did you answer Y to the question about using LBA. You should be able to refdisk the drive, delete all partitons, then create a new partition with lba enabled for the whole size of the drive. If you can't your bios don't support it and you would need to use the drive manufacturers utility to install an overlay program to allow you to use the whole drive.

You should be able to set the primary dos partition to 100% of the drives capacity if your bios allow it with LBA enabled.

If you decide to redo the drive you will lose any data on it. I believe you have to go in and delete the logical partitions first, then the extended dos, and finally the primary dos but I could be wrong.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online