1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partitioning and formatting drive to use Windows 98 and XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nuthatch, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nuthatch

nuthatch Thread Starter

Hi - I'm new here and looking for some advice.:)

Am buying new computer with XP installed, but have older applications/programmes which were for Windows 98.
    I assume that most of these programmes will not run on XP, is it therefore possible to partition the hard drive in such a way that I can run Windows 98 in one partition, and XP in another?
    The new PC's comes with hard drive (SATA II) formatted in NTFS, which I think is incompatible with 98. So I'd like to know if one partion of the drive can be formatted to FAT32 to run 98 (and it's associated software), with the remainder of the drive formatted to NTFS.
    If this can be done, will I at a later date (when I no longer need 98) be able to re-format that partition to NTFS?
    And is it all fairly straight forward?

Thanks for any advice.:)

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

The best way to do this would be using third party programs like Partition Magic or Disk Director Acronis

And all what you want to do in your post yes can be done......

you can do it without the programs above but it would mean re partitioning and installing the operating system ....if you use one of the programs above you can do it with the existing operating system still on the hard drive without losing any data.

3. nuthatch

nuthatch Thread Starter

Thanks for that quick response Bonk. That's all good news.

I didn't mention that the partitioning of the hard drive is done if requested, by the computer builders (custom built to order), and I expect they should be able to format a small partition to FAT 32 .... I'd have to check that out first I guess.
    If they don't, and I have to format the partition myself (to FAT 32), is that easy enough to do? Would I do it using either Partition Magic or Disc Director? or should I be using another method?

Likewise, when the time comes and I want to re-format the FAT 32 partition to NTFS, would I use the same method?

Thanks again:)

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes tell that youer going to have duel boot options one for XP and one for 98 so they should know to format the partition in Fat32.

Make sure they split your main drive up in different partitions...the one with XP will most definitely be NTFS but be sure to tell them you want one partition for 98 in Fat32.

If they do this you will not need third parties programs.

When you want to change your Fat32 to NTFS just go to Disk Management by click Start then right clicking on My Computer and choose Manage and in the new window on the left choose Disk Management.

Right click on the partition you want to remove and format and choose delete then format in NTFS.

5. nuthatch

nuthatch Thread Starter

Hi Bonk
    Thank you so much for that information, really helpful. I shall print it out and keep it till it's needed.
    The process certainly seems a lot easier than I thought it would be.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!