1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved partitioning during windows 10 install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FlyingEagle123, Jan 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FlyingEagle123

FlyingEagle123 Thread Starter

Is it possible to partition a brand new 970 Evo Plus 2TB nvme in a 0,5 Tb C (boot partition) and a 1.5 Tb D (data partition) during initial windows 10 USB install ?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I would let the installer set up the partitions, with a brand new drive it will do so automatically. Later you can shrink the C partition and create the new D partition.

Also disconnect all other drives, leaving just the NVMe drive connected when you do the install.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You would never have a 500gig or .5TB boot partition. The uefi boot partition is usually only 100 meg formatted as fat32. You could have a 500gig system partition ie where you install windows however I would really let setup partition/format during the install. For what reason would you want multiple partitions on the system drive?
    managed advise regarding having all other drives disconnected is very important with a M.2 type drive. If there are any other drives present during the install, setup will put the boot files ie the uefi partition on the root of the drive connected to sata1.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    SarahSims likes this.
  4. FlyingEagle123

Thanks for the advices managed and crjdriver, very much appreciated!
    My mistake, ment to say 500Gb system partition not boot partition, reason to want 2 partitions on the NVMe drive is to have a relative small system partition of which I can make fast and manageable backup images

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You really do not need to make separate partitions. I have a 500gig WD nvme drive in one of my systems. I image that to a ssd and it takes all of 2 min or so to make the image. There is nothing wrong with having multiple partitions however having the multiple partitions does nothing if the drive itself fails. With an image of the drive, it takes just a few min to install a new M.2, boot with the acronis boot usb and restore the image. System back up and running in less than 15min total time.

SarahSims likes this.
  6. FlyingEagle123

Thanks crjdriver,
    You say "having the multiple partitions does nothing if the drive itself fails"
    Just to be absolutely save in my suggested config I do:
    1. within Acronis select the whole NVMe drive except partition D and make an Image file.
    2. Partition D and 2 internal 4TB sata SSD's are back upped to external HDD's
    3. If the NVMe drive fails, I install a new one, restore the Image file, create a partition D on the new NVMe and copy D-data from external backup to created partition D on the NVMe
    Agreed its a bit more work, but would it work like this?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it will work however [as you said] more work. If it were me, I would just make an image of the complete drive and store on one of the 4TB drives.
    Nothing wrong with the way you want to do this task; just not the way I would do it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice