1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

partitioning for audio expediancy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hannas, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hannas

hannas Thread Starter

Hey all,
    I run XP PRO on a system using two 80GB western digital hd's in RAID 0. I do a LOT of audio work using cubase SX and protools and over the months i have accumulated too much crap and things are slowing down. I am going to reformat and start clean but i am thinking about partitions to keep all audio stuff separate from system stuff. Can anyone suggest some good sizes? and can i do this is XP setup?
    Also i want to find out where i can safely clock my P4 2.4 HT CPU up to...I have it at 2.52 now, how much further can i go? I have an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe mobo with that AI overclocking thing also.

Any info much appreciated

Sam

2. active95

active95

!. If you want to partition , might wanna do it like ..20 gigs for the OS and 60 for data. Keep in mind though that : In case windows crashes, you will loose all the data ( since you are using RAID 0 , and i'm sure you know this )
    2. It depends of the version of the cpu . The ver B can be overclocked all the way to 3 gigs. check out overclockers.com or look in the news archives of hardocp.com and will see that the 2.4 B is the "darling" of overclockers..
    HTH

3. slipe

slipe

I take it you are partitioning 160Gb. You need 10Gb for an XP boot drive for your OS and programs. The smaller you keep it the better for ghosting and defragging. I see no reason to not have the rest a single storage partition. It is as easy to organize with folders as it is with partitions and you can’t fill a folder if you miscalculate how much you need for a certain thing. It is best to not have to resize partitions. It is usually non-eventful but not always.

4. active95

active95

Oh yes.. i forgot to mention.... :D yes you can do it in the setup routine .. just pop the XP cd and once you'll get to the formating can make partitions.
    HTH

5. hannas

hannas Thread Starter

Thanx heaps people! How do i find out what version my chip is?

6. active95

active95

Might try Intel ID proggie...which should shed some light , but to be 100% sure need to pop the heatsink and take a look.

7. RSM123

RSM123

8. hannas

hannas Thread Starter

I have now decided just to use the two 80GB drives as two separate physical drives, BUT, windows setup says it didnt find any hard drives attached. I have reset the master/slave settings, and plugged the cable into my pri ide channel. Also i have deleted the RAID array that was setup on them. My BIOS says that the drives are there as pri master and pri slave, but setup wont recognise them...HELP!

9. active95

active95

Need to format the drives.. since you were using a RAID 0 , data was written across both of them. So pop in a win98 startup disk and choose the " start windows without cd rom support " and use FDISK to format .
    If you don't have a win98 startup disk.. www.bootdisk.com will help with that.

10. hannas

hannas Thread Starter

Nah i had done that...i actually wanted to change the position of the drives in my case and so i did, i then plugged them all back the same way they were AND reset my bios to default and it worked fine....i had this problem before with another pc i was building for a friend - setup didnt detect hdd's for about two hours of trying different things and then suddenly it worked without changing anything from the previous attempt at setup. WHAT THE? ahhhh these are such predictable machines.

Anyway I had a look at my cpu and it didnt say anything about what version it was, would the version B one say simply that? Does the hyperthreading make any difference to oclockn'?

11. active95

active95

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!