1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partitioning Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gustac, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gustac

gustac Thread Starter

Hello,

I have been requested to reformat a hard drive on a Dell computer that has two logical drives on one physical drive. The master C: is the one I want to format and the D: is OK. Is it possible to format just the C: and keep the D: intact????

If it isn't possible, what things do I need to be able to partition the drive how I want it???

Thanks in advance.

2. coderanger

coderanger

Try using a better tool than Microsoft's default. My fav is PorwerQuest PartitionMagic. You definetly can do with that.

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi gustac

As long as you don't repartition the hard drive and are not using any disk overlay software you should have no problem just formatting the C logical drive without formatting the D.
    If you are using windows 98 just use a windows boot disk and at the A prompt type FORMAT C: /S

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice