Partitioning Harddrive?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Richter915

I recently purchased and installed a new 120 GB HD into my win 98 NEC system. I am currently using it right now but I had some questions on partitioning the hard drive. First, what is the purpose of that? Can the partition be used to help backup and restore files if one part of the HD has been infected? If that is the case, how can I partition my hard drive? it currently has 111 free GB. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

A partition can be used to store Things like files, folders and backups, and if your operating system becomes corrupted or crashes, and has to be reinstalled, then these files, folders and backups will not be affected so therefore they can still be accessed.
You can also install a second operating system on a partition, or even store an image of your current op sys.
The only downfall is that if the hard drive completely fails, you will lose everything.
If you wish to create/delete partitions, and you already have your op sys installed, then you will have to use a program such as Partition Magic or Partition Manager.
Partitioning programs are sometimes found 'free' on the cover disks of pc magazines.

Hope this helps

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online