Partitioning issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RyanH

I'm trying to partition a hard drive to use with Windows95 and I've used both boot disks from bootdisk.com and one I made myself off of a Windows98. I get to the FDISK screen where it gives me the options to create, delete and set active partititons. Then I choose to create a partition because there aren't any partitions on the hard drive yet, and I only get as far as, "verifying drive integrity _%"... it goes from 4% to 8%, randomly shoots to 0%, sometimes it shows other percentages, and finally stops at 0%.
I'm not seeing the screen where I choose how big to make the partition and I'm wondering if it comes after verifying drive integrity or if it's just the version of the bootdisk I have.
Overall the problem is that it won't partition and I'm looking for ideas why it won't.

Hulk701

Banned
RyanH said:
I'm trying to partition a hard drive to use with Windows95 and I've used both boot disks from bootdisk.com and one I made myself off of a Windows98. I get to the FDISK screen where it gives me the options to create, delete and set active partititons. Then I choose to create a partition because there aren't any partitions on the hard drive yet, and I only get as far as, "verifying drive integrity _%"... it goes from 4% to 8%, randomly shoots to 0%, sometimes it shows other percentages, and finally stops at 0%.
I'm not seeing the screen where I choose how big to make the partition and I'm wondering if it comes after verifying drive integrity or if it's just the version of the bootdisk I have.
Overall the problem is that it won't partition and I'm looking for ideas why it won't.
There could be other reason as to why it won't partiton.

Have your formatted it yet

Have you scandisked it yet?

Partitioning is the last step after you've done these steps.

Also, how big is the hard drive. Win98 has a 128gb limit on size. Bigger than this it won't partion.

If the drive is that importatant to you you could invest in Partition Magic to help you

HULK! (y)

Hulk701 said:
There could be other reason as to why it won't partiton.

Have your formatted it yet

Have you scandisked it yet?

Partitioning is the last step after you've done these steps.

:
Pretty sure you need to partition before you can format. It is the first thing you need to do.
Also nothing to scan until you partition and format.

But if it is failing in trying to partition that early in the process, it is likely a bad drive as others have noted.

RyanH

Thanks, that could be it. But it's not that important, it was just a spare computer I aqquired and it had nothing valuable on it. I'll either get a partitioning program or see if I can call in a favor with a friend and get another used hard drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online