Solved Partitioning problem Trident 3

ingk

Disk is partitioned into C: drive with 237GB and Drive D: with 913 GB space.
When I tried to update DCS flight Sim was advised that there was insufficient disk space available (only 2.6GB ).
I nominated drive D: and the 7.5 GB was completed OK.
However the program on drive C: does not recognize the upgrade, even though DCS gave me the option of using this drive.
Win 10 has already utilised a small part of this partition for the latest upgrade.

What is the purpose of partitioning the disk? can I transfer space from D to C? or can I delete D completly?
Have downloaded a number of free partition Managers to see what I can do, but so far cannot come up with a solution.
Lack of basic knowledge is the problem.

ingk

Fireflycph

Morten
It's a tough question. Nobody here can know what, if anything, you have on D: or if there's two physical disks in your system. Nor can we know if s/w has been installed and is running from D:
According to you you have one disk with 237GB and 913GB partitions. That makes no sense to me. More likely you have a 250GB SSD as a boot drive and a 1tb "data" drive. But I could be wrong, again.
Please run the TSG info tool and post result here. It'll give anyone a better picture of what you have.
Here's the link.

https://static.techguy.org/download/tsginfo.exe

ingk

It's a tough question. Nobody here can know what, if anything, you have on D: or if there's two physical disks in your system. Nor can we know if s/w has been installed and is running from D:
According to you you have one disk with 237GB and 913GB partitions. That makes no sense to me. More likely you have a 250GB SSD as a boot drive and a 1tb "data" drive. But I could be wrong, again.
Please run the TSG info tool and post result here. It'll give anyone a better picture of what you have.
Here's the link.

https://static.techguy.org/download/tsginfo.exe
I thought that there was a single partitioned drive but there are 2.
256GBSSD (SATA) and 1TB 2.5" HDD

attached file
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200804211308.000000+600
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (3 GB Free); D: 913 GB (833 GB Free);
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-B9061, ver 2.0, s/n Default string
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver MSI_NB - 1072009, s/n MSB906H4S0103839
Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

So looks like I have a problem
This is a standard Trident 3 as supplied as a gaming computer..What is the use of large drive D: and how can it be used?

crjdriver

You have two choices;
1 Get a larger ssd and clone your existing ssd to the new one
2 Move data files and or uninstall programs on the ssd and reinstall on the spin drive

ingk

You have two choices;
1 Get a larger ssd and clone your existing ssd to the new one
2 Move data files and or uninstall programs on the ssd and reinstall on the spin drive
Thanks guys....
Have installed Wiztree and it shows that I can save 27.86 GB by removing "Windows.old" which would solve my immediate problem. However when I go into "diskcleanup" it is not listed as an option nor does Win Explorer show "windows old" .Has Wiztree got it wrong? or have I missed it somehow.

Fireflycph

Morten
"Windows.old" is probably a hidden folder that was used when you updated to Win10 or when a newer version of it was installed.
Without knowing your system we can't determine whether it can be removed. Most likely it can. Especially if you haven't done any updates/upgrades for a long time. To be on the safe side i'd make a complete backup of the whole C drive before deleting anything.

If I'm not much mistaken you can use something like Macrium Reflect, to make an image and store it on the D drive or even better, on some external media.

crjdriver

For future reference, you can mark your own thread as solved using the button at the upper left of the page. No need for this one; I will mark it for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online