1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partitioning Problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Running Windows XP and Paragon Hard Disk Manager 6.

I have one hard disk that is divided into two partitions. The primary, bootable partition is 25 Gigs and there is an extended partition with one logical drive in it that is 200 Gigs. I want to take 15 Gigs from the 200-Gig partition and add that 15 Gigs to the primary, bootable partition.

I have no problem sizing down the extended partition to 185 Gigs; but, I can't get the 15 Gigs of "Unallocated Space" added to the primary bootable partition. I see no option to do that.

2. Alex Ethridge

Here's a screen shot if that will help.

Attached Files:

3. Stoner

Stoner Banned

4. Alex Ethridge

I back up the entire drive before starting.

Thanks, I'll give GParted a try.

5. DVOM

DVOM

Alex, you've shrunk the size of your logical partition but you need to also shrink your extended partition. Once you've done that you'll have better luck resizing your primary partition.

6. Alex Ethridge

Well, I about had that figured out as I have run into this before; but, I don't see any selections in the partitioning program I am using that let me shrink the extended partition.

7. DVOM

DVOM

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

As you may know, 6 is pretty old now. It will certainly not have support for the new partition types from Vista onward (though it should still work fine for XP which used the old type). What version of Windows created those partitions originally?

9. Alex Ethridge

I'm not sure which version of Windows created the partition; but, it's running Windows XP Home now. At one time, the machine was running Windows 2000 Professional; but, I don't remember if we repartitioned when we installed XP (from scratch, not an upgrade) several years ago. It has always been NTFS, though.

What's different about NTFS between XP and Vista/7?

10. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

MS cannot agree with itself about what NTFS should be like, so they keep changing it ;) perhaps to try to persuade people to upgrade.
    Anyway, just to be on the safe(r) side I always try to use a tool that supports the latest version of Windows partitions, but whenever I can I do changes from a standalone CD.

Easeus do a very good free partition manager that runs in all (NT style) Windows and supports most of the common partition types ( inc Linux).

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice