1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partitioning question...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cristyna77, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cristyna77

cristyna77 Thread Starter

Just have a general information question in regards to partitioning hardrives.

Using the FDISK utility, when the "verifying drive integrity" starts at 0%, and stays at zero for over an hour, does this mean the drive is NOT spinning?

cristyna77 eagerly awaiting a response. Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It either means that for some reason the drive is not responding, or perhaps you have a BIOS issue. Is this a drive you've used on the same computer before?

3. cristyna77

cristyna77 Thread Starter

Its not my computer. Its the b/f's. And unfortunatley even HE couldnt tell you what hardrive he had installed or what BIOS settings he has tweaked. He is out right now going to buy another used hardrive, without knowing what he needs or what he is looking for. He knows very little about computer hardware, but thinks its just like an engine to a car. I am so exhausted watching him playing the role of "Self-taught Computer Technician." He couldn't tell you the difference between "download", and "upload". So, this situation is kind of a lost cause, cuz I have no good details to give you. But thanks for the attempt )

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sometimes the best way to learn some of this stuff is by doing. It's also sometimes the expensive way. :D

5. vynsane

vynsane

well, does he realize that a used hard drive will be just as good as a (poorly maintained) used engine? you can't change the oil and clean the air filter on a HDD as you can on the engine, so it's always going to be a poorly maintained item. new is the way to go in terms of drives...

6. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello!
    If he has played around in the BIOS, it can be set to default, or at worse, you can take out the cmos battery for a while and let the mobo drain and also default.

Also, when using fdisk, you can enter #4 on the main menu and get drive information. Look ther to make sure the drive is being recognised.

More than one partition is recommended also. To read more you can see my

Partitioning Guide

7. fredman

fredman

First thing to do is pop the case and FEEL or HEAR if the drive is spinning.
    If it is, the next thing is to go into the BIOS on bootup (usually the DEL key), find the hard disk configuration and set everything to 'Automatic' (even all the primarys and secondarys, even the ones you are not using, it won't care).

8. rockinmale

rockinmale

If the hard drive is staying at 0% when your trying to create a partition. Since the drive is used. I would open the case and find out which manufacturer it is. Then i would go to their website and download their diagnostic utilities disk. Run this program and see if the drive passes or fails. That will tell you whether you need a new one or not.

I certainly second the notion of not buying a used hard drive.

If that doesnt work post back with any more problems and everyone will try and help you with your problem....

Good luck!
    TC
    Rockinmale :cool:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice