1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partitioning recommendations please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hermann, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hermann

hermann Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm having a PC built and the hard drive is 160GB. I have the option of partitioning it but don't know the best setup as I've never used partitioning, or whether I should partition at all. As some background info, the PC will be running XP home and is mainly for making music on but also for general usage and a few games etc. I have 18 GB of music samples and will eventually have a fair bit of my own music on there too.

I am considering the following as a setup but don't know enough about this topic:

Partition 1 (OS installation) - 20GB.
    Partition 2 for general usage - 60GB
    Partition 3 for my own music - 60GB
    Partition 4 for samples - 20GB

Please give me some feedback, it would be very much appreciated.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Look OK but don't see anything for backup files.

3. hermann

hermann Thread Starter

Thanks, Bonk. I've previously only backed up everything to an external hard-drive so I didn't even think about that. Probably take 20GB of my general usage drive and create another partition for my most valuable files.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

One situation to be aware of with 5 potential partitions is that one may fill up before you would have expected it to, while another may have a lot of free space still available.

For example, you might fill up the 60 gig general partition with files faster than you planned. Yet the 60 gig for music still has 30 gigs free. With this configuration it is much more difficult to start resizing partitions to fix this situation.

With less partitions, they can all be larger and thus avoid this potential problem. This is not to say it is not a good idea to partition. I do it. Just to consider not having 5.

5. hermann

hermann Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Bob. Good point that some partitions might end up getting used up more quickly etc. I've had this current PC for 6 years and never managed to get past 30GB on this harddrive for all usage (only ever have a couple of games on at a time and my music stuff).

I can put samples in with the music since I will go through the 18GB of samples to pick about 2GB of them I actually use, so can get it down to 4 instead of 5...

1: OS (20)
    2: General (60)
    3: Music and samples (60)
    4: Backup (20)

Hopefully that will be fine for my needs and usage.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Make sure that backup partition, if you want to use one, will be able to backup everything you need from those other partitions. Seems a bit small to me.

But then I do like you, I backup to external hard drives and save the space on my computer.

7. hermann

hermann Thread Starter

When backup was mentioned, I thought it best to be able to accommodate the most valuable files like my finished songs and a few important things so they would be safe and 'to hand' so to speak. With 250GB of an external drive and even the harddrive on this current PC which will I guess will be more storage capacity, I didn't want to take too much storage away from the rest of the new drive. Is that good reasoning?!

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

As long as it meets current and potential future needs then that should be fine. Just didn't want you to create a small partition now only to find out it won't backup what you need to later.

9. hermann

hermann Thread Starter

Good stuff, thank you both very much for helping me along. All the best.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd make the O/S partition around 40gigs.

11. hermann

hermann Thread Starter

Thank you for your input, John. I've been reading a bunch of articles on the net for a few hours and the suggestions seem to vary from 10GB to 40GB, so I am sensing that even if 40GB might be too much now, it gives the room to expand without having to worry! I really don't want to increase my backup space on the drive but am thinking I should just make the general use and music all one partition since it with more than likely be 90% music use on the PC. So the partitions would be 1. 40GB, 2. 100GB and 3. 20GB.

May I follow up with another question please?

When I install applications or games, do I install on the OS partition and then just save the media created from the application (videos, pictures etc) onto another partition? Or do I install the application onto another partition (not the OS partition) and it will still work from there?

And in terms of Antivirus software and Ad-Aware etc, do these have to be installed on the OS partition?

Only ever had to work on a C drive you see, so not too sure.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Usually I just recommend installing programs on the C: partition. That is where the extra room can come in handy. The size would be determined by how much you plan on installing in addition to the operating system.

For example, for the larger ones, I have Office2003, Adobe Photoshop, Quickbooks, PhotoImpact 11, AVG, Firefox, Quicktime. The rest you mention dont' take up that much space. With all that my Program Files directory is just over 2.6 gigs.

Then yes, keep your data on another partition.

And it looks like you are seeing the benefits of not having 5 partitions.

13. hermann

hermann Thread Starter

Yes, I think I would have been muddled up for a start choosing 4 or 5 but I'll be better with just 3 in this setup hopefully and, as you originally said, I wouldn't want to regret running out of space on one while another goes underused. As always, glad I came on here!

And thanks for explaining about where to install to. Should be set now, Cheers again folks.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice