1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partitioning with Win98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bestshotdude, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bestshotdude

bestshotdude Thread Starter

Have a 20gb HD that back when I built this whole system knew a lot less than I know now. I would like to partition the HD so I have at least three partitions but am unsure about procedure. I would like to have one partition handle my office apps. and other word processing duties, one partition to habdle my internet and other communication apps. and one to handle my CD-R and MP3 and WAV. file apps. to make things more stable and so forth.
    Do I need to do a complete F-Disk and restore and then install the various apps. to their respective partitions or is there some way I can create the partitions and move the apps. to the partitions just through F-Disk? Thanks for any help!

2. ETS

ETS

FDISK will not allow you to create new partitions out of existing ones without first deleting them. That is unless you have unpartitioned space left on your hard drive.
    You would need third party partitioning software such as "PARTITION MAGIC". Never use it myself, but I think it has that capability.

3. jbcalg

jbcalg

agree with ETS, and yes fdisk and part magic should do the job as long as there is enough space on the hdd

suggest though you rethink your partitions a little to make it easier to back up and/or restore partitions

ie install windows - make a backup/restore cd so you could reload a clean version of W if need be
    do the same for apps after all installed for same reason
    do the same for data

1. windows and apps - 10 gb? (windows swap file is there remember)
    2. data for apps - 2 gb
    3. cd and mp3 files - 8 gb
    or
    1. windows - 2 - 4 gb
    2. apps - 5 - 6 gb
    3. data for apps - same
    4. cd and mp3 files - same

all of course depending on how many apps, data saved, and cd/mp3 files you have

4. bestshotdude

I am aware of Partition Magic and have downloaded a "Demo" version of it that makes all I want to do seem very easy. However, if I go to FDISK and get the message about all data will be lost if I delete that partition, which at this time I only have one, does it really get deleted or is held on the HD until I reconfigure the partitions leaving more than enough space for the original single partition and can assign new quantities to my desired new partitions? In other words, if I use FDISK and delete the partition that is using 100% of my hardrive although I have tons of room left, do I lose this configuration? Can I delete this primary partition and relable it and then change the percentage of drive so I may do secondary partitions?
    Partition Magic seems great but I would think you should be able to do this without the loss of data from a single partition that contains all the data and have to resort to a reformat. I may seem to be repeating myself but I just cannot believe you would have to buy a program to do something that some of you guys out there know a work around.
    Thanks again.

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi bestshotdude

If you use FDISK you will lose ALL the information currently on your hard drive. Partition magic is used instead of Fdisk to add and change partition sizes without losing any data.

Here is a different post witha freeware resizer.
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=56706&highlight=Partition+resizer

Basically you will need to first shrink the size of the current partition then add other partitions to the remaining space.

6. bestshotdude

Thanks for that info. as I was just beginning to think to go for it but wanted to wait and see what you all had to say. Thanks a million for that tip. I generally do a reformat once every two months or so just to get all of the crap Windows lets build up in the system but will just hang in there and wait and do it right the next time around. You saved me a lot of energy. Thank you.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice