1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partitioning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pc dreamer, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pc dreamer

pc dreamer Thread Starter

I'm very new to partition.
    I've got two hard drives. One 120 gig and the other is a 160 gig.
    I've divided each by 4.

My question is this: Can I download a program on to a partition other than the one with my operating system and install it on the same partition that I downloaded it on and still have the program working?
    ]

2. Arky

Arky

Yes. In fact it is preferable to keep your boot disk as small as possible (fewest programs). Also move your page.sys (W2K/WXP) or swap file (WME/W98) to a partition other than the boot partition.

3. pc dreamer

pc dreamer Thread Starter

How do I find and move the page file to a different drive?

4. Arky

Arky

You didn't state your OS so, assuming you are using XP, right click My Computer -> left click Properties -> left click Advanced -> left click Settings (under Performance) - left click Advanced -> left click Change (under Virtual Memory) then select the drive for the page.sys file.

When you are finished, it would be best to remove the old page.sys on C:. This can only be done if you are not using NTFS. Assuming you have FAT32, REBOOT the system. Repeat the steps above to insure that the page.sys file is now on another drive than C: as you specified. Download a W98 recovery disk from www.bootdisk.com and make a boot floppy. Boot with the W98 floppy and at the A: prompt type DEL C:\PAGE.SYS. Remove the floppy and boot the system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!