1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Partitioning!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Waldo_II, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waldo_II

Waldo_II Thread Starter

Alright, since I just finished building a work computer for myself, I have decided to completely dedicate my other computer, a gaming computer (specs in my signature), towards gaming. I'm talking about using every possible performance upgrade trick and deleting as much bloatware as possible.

One of the things I plan to do is partition off a few sections of my hard drive. I have zero experience with Windows XP's partitioning tool, so that is why I came here. Here is how I want to set this up:

20 Gigabytes towards system files and nVidia drivers.
    5 Gigabytes towards the page file
    110 Gigabytes towards games and Steam
    25 Gigabytes for everything else

The basic idea that I have for how this is going to go down is this: I install XP, then I install the nVidia drivers, then I use the partitioning tool to divide the disk up into the sections I have planned out above, and I basically just install games and such to D:\ or F:\ or whatever, personal documents and such to a different drive, set the page file towards another drive, and leave C:\ alone for what is already there.

I also want to clarify this: will I be able modify the partitions on the hard disk while using it? Will I have to plan out the partition layout while installing XP?

I'm really just looking for reassurance. I absolutely hate it when I do something important (like partitioning) and then screw it up because I didn't know something.

Many thanks, Waldo

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice